Contact the Ithaca College Office of Public Safety and Emergency Management by dialing 911 from any campus phone or 607-274-3333 from any other phone.
The College is prepared to notify the campus community via the emergency notification system (ENS) and outdoor warning system (OWS) of severe weather emergencies.
The following terms are utilized by the National Weather Service:
- Watch – Conditions are right for a severe thunderstorm or tornado to develop. Continue with normal activities, but also continue to monitor the weather.
- Warning – Radar or weather spotters have identified a severe thunderstorm or tornado.
The College’s outdoor warning system may be activated if there is danger for the campus community.
If You Are Indoors
- Know the location of the appropriate area(s) for your facility. This can be a basement or a ground floor hallway with no windows, or a door frame.
- If you are unable to go to a room with no windows, get under a desk or table.
- Remain in a protected area until the threat has ceased or the danger has passed.
- Call the Office of Public Safety at 911 from any campus phone or 607-274-3333 from a cell phone to report injuries or severe damage.
If You Are Outdoors
- Seek shelter indoors.
If you cannot seek shelter indoors
- Try to get to a protected or safe area away from buildings, windows and glass, telephone or light poles, or any place where there could be falling debris.
- Find an area such as a ditch or ravine or a depression to shelter in.
- Lie face down and cover your head and face.
- Avoid any downed power lines.
- Call the Office of Public Safety at 911 from any campus phone or 607-274-3333 from a cell phone to report injuries and damage.