Managing Expectations

  • You are NOT expected to use every tool on this website with every student!  

  • Some models, questions and strategies will be more authentic to your teaching practice than others. Take what you need and leave the rest. They are here when you need them.  

  • Remember that while we can offer invaluable support to the students we advise, there are limits to what we can and should do.  Always direct your students to mental health services when you feel a student may need professional counseling or help. Please share your concerns by filing an ICare referral. 

Important Messages from the Registrar

  • Students in H&S, HSHP Pre-Health Professions, and first-year Business students are required to meet with their faculty advisor prior to obtaining their registration access code (RAC). It is critical that you meet with your advisees in this remote semester year and resist pressure to give them the code based on email alone.
  • Students follow the requirements of the catalog year in which they entered IC or declared their major. Be aware of this if your department has changed the requirements for the major. 
  • There is no longer a capacity override or an email approval to get a seat in a class. The waitlist feature in HomerConnect is the only option. In cases where a student needs to take the class that semester in order to graduate, students can speak with their Dean's Office, who can determine if the course really is necessary and set up a capacity override.
  • If you commit to a student that you are going to submit a course waiver substitution please submit it in IC Workflow for your chair to approve. Students are not able to submit these themselves and are dependent on faculty to do so. 

Using this site

This site is intended for faculty advisors.

The subpages of this site contain practical information to guide you through the advising process in addition to providing answers to questions and resources for you and your students.

Are you a student? 

Find the resources you need at the IC Resources page.

Questions about advising?

School Contact Position email
Business Katy Hall Academic Services Coordinator khall2@ithaca.edu
H&S Jim Riegel Academic Services Coordinator hsadvising@ithaca.edu
HSHP Jana Waller Interim Associate Dean jwaller@ithaca.edu
Music Shannon Hills Academic Services Coordinator musicacademicsupport@ithaca.edu
Park Kristin Morse Academic Services Coordinator kmorse@ithaca.edu

Corrections or suggestions?

If you notice any information that is incorrect or have suggestions for improving the site, please contact Elizabeth Bleicher.