Letter of Recommendation Policy
M. Nicole Horsley’s Letter of Recommendation Policy
I am happy to write letters of recommendation for students who meet the following criteria:
- You must have fully completed at least two classes with me. I will not write a letter for a current first-time student, as I will not have an adequate sense of your academic abilities until you complete the term.
- You should attend office hours, giving me the opportunity to get to know you beyond the classroom. To write a strong and effective letter, I need to be able to describe you holistically.
- You should have earned a grade of an A or B in my classes.
- I require at least three weeks to craft and submit a letter for you. I will not respond to last minute request. Your emergency is not mine.
If I do agree to write a letter of recommendation, you have must:
- Provide all the pertinent information:
- Nature of your application (a description of the organization/fellowship/program to which you’re applying)
- Deadline for the letter to be postmarked/received
- Method by which I am to submit the letter (via email, postal mail, hard copy to you with a signature across the envelope seal)
- Name and contact information (full names, affiliations of the person/group receiving the letter)
- Any additional forms that I am to complete on your behalf (complete forms that require you to submit information prior)
- Additional Information I need to write a great recommendation:
- An unofficial copy of your transcript
- Copy of the cover letter and/or personal statement that will accompany your application
- Copy of any writing that you have to submit
If your application involves a funding request:
- You should spend ample time developing your proposal before asking for an endorsement letter
- I will not write a letter in support of your project without seeing the project
If you are applying to more than one program at a time:
- Provide details and an organized list of all sites in one email
- If you want me to focus the letter to discuss a particular ability or characteristic (e.g., fellowship states applicants should have strong organizational skills), tell me, as this will assist me in writing a personalized letter suited to your specific needs
Do not ask for a recommendation letter unless you are certain you are going to follow through with the rest of your application.