We are a multi-faceted organization with many different types of academic and experiential learning opportunities to offer Ithaca College students. Together, we are …
- A nationally recognized academic Department of Gerontology offering an Aging Studies major and minor, with a focus on interdisciplinary student-centered experiential learning. This Major has been named a Program of Merit, the highest educational honor from the Association for Gerontology in Higher Education (AGHE), and our Fieldwork in Gerontology course is consistently ranked among the top five in the nation by Assisted Living Today.
- The Ithaca College/Longview Partnership, providing more than 100 intergenerational learning opportunities for more than 700 Ithaca College students every year. We celebrate more than 40 years of vibrant collaboration with the nearby Longview senior living community.
- A center for aging-related programming, including our annual Distinguished Speaker lecture, conferences, workshops, films, talks, cross-campus and community collaborations for experiential learning, and more.
- The Finger Lakes Geriatric Education Center, a federally-funded center for Gerontology/Geriatrics education and research with outreach to Ithaca College and 25 neighboring counties in the Finger Lakes region of upstate NY. Our training focus is health literacy and cultural competence, palliative care, and trauma-informed elder care, especially for long-term care and end-of-life.
- A new Center for Palliative Care whose mission is to promote and advance palliative care in rural communities through research, education and community development. Palliative care means enhanced healthcare for people with serious illness, at any stage and any age.
And that’s not all. We teach, we write, we give scholarships, we do research, we organize, we throw intergenerational parties, we win national awards, and much more.