Jazz Audition Requirements
In addition to satisfying the classical audition requirements, applicants for the jazz studies major must choose their musical selections from the following list. Accompaniment will be provided. All keys indicated are concert keys. If you would prefer to perform a song in a different key, you must bring three copies of the lead sheet (melody with chord symbols) in that key.
- Blues in the key and tempo of your choice, with a head (melody) of your choice
- Standards (choose one):
* "All the Things You Are" (in Ab, starts on Fmi)
* "All of Me" (in C)
* "Blue Skies" (in F, starts on Dmi)
* "My Romance" (in Bb or C)
* "I Got Rhythm" (in Bb)
* "They Can't Take That Away from Me" (in Eb)
* "How High the Moon" (in G)
* "Take the 'A' Train (in C)
- Ballads (choose one):
* "Body and Soul" (in Db)
* "How Deep Is the Ocean" (in Eb, starts on Cmi)
* "But Beautiful" (in G)
* "Someone to Watch over Me" (in Eb)
* "Round Midnight" (in Eb)
* "Lover Man" (in Dmi, ends in F)
- Solo transcription (optional, but recommended):
A solo transcription of a major jazz soloist (who has been influential on many subsequent jazz musicians). Examples could include:
* A selection from the Charlie Parker Omnibook
* A Miles Davis transcription from the book "Miles Davis Kind of Blue Transcribed Score"
* Your own transcription of a major jazz soloist
- In addition to playing the selections, instrumental jazz studies applicants will sing the melody of one of their prepared pieces.
For specific questions regarding jazz auditions, please contact Mike Titlebaum, Director of Jazz Studies: email@example.com.