The Ithaca College School of Music announces the fifteenth biennial Walter Beeler Memorial Composition Prize. This prize succeeds the Walter Beeler Memorial Commission Series established in 1975. Funded by the Ithaca College School of Music, its alumni, and friends, this highly successful original series has produced 14 compositions for the wind band. The Walter Beeler Memorial Composition Prize has been created to further encourage the composition and performance of the highest quality wind band literature in honor and memory of Ithaca College's renowned director of bands.
Submission deadline: November 1, 2016
An Ithaca College School of Music committee of faculty members has convened to examine and evaluate the scores and recordings of all submissions for the Walter Beeler Memorial Composition Prize. This is a blind procedure and the committee members have no knowledge of composers or their backgrounds during the any part of the process.
We would like to thank all the composers who submitted pieces this year and assure them that if they included return postage we will return their materials shortly. After careful consideration, the committee has decided not to make an award for this year. The next competition will take place, as usual, on an even year, in this case in 2018. We are excited to announce that the prize monies attached to the award will be increased to $5000.00! As part of Professor Beeler’s tremendous legacy, we value high quality literature for wind bands and encourage all to consider submitting a piece in 2018!
- Entries must be original compositions for wind ensemble/concert band, utilizing standard wind band instrumentation. No transcriptions/arrangements (except those of the composer) will be eligible.
- The composition may have already been performed, but shall have been written within two years of the contest deadline.
- The composition should be conceived and constructed to ensure an effective performance by professional, university, and high school bands alike.
- Entries shall be longer than 7 minutes.
- Compositions must be submitted with a full score and compact disc recording. A "hard copy" paper version of the score is required. Compositions without recordings will not be considered. While synthesized versions are accepted, they are discouraged. Do not send parts with your scores.
- All rights, including copyrighting, remain with the composer.
- Open to all composers except:
- Past winners of the Walter Beeler Memorial Composition Prize
- Any composer who received a commission from the Walter Beeler Memorial Commission
- Ithaca College faculty
- Cash prize of $3,000, with the performance of the work in spring or fall of 2017. The winner is strongly encouraged to attend the performance. Modest travel support is available.
- The Ithaca College School of Music has the option of withholding the award if no entry is found to be suitable.
Submission and Return Guidelines:
- A sealed envelope with the name and address of the composer should be affixed to the title page of the score. The date of the composition must appear on the title page.
- The composer's name must not appear on the score or the recording.
- All entries must be received by the committee chair not later than November 1, 2016. Entries received after that date will not be considered.
- The winning composition will be selected and the composer notified no later than December 30, 2016. Parts for the winning composition must be received by the Ithaca College School of Music no later than January 15, 2017.
- A self-addressed, stamped mailer must be included for return. All precautions will be taken to ensure that manuscripts and CDs are returned safely, but Ithaca College cannot assume responsibility for loss or damage in transit.
- Mail entry to:
Walter Beeler Memorial Composition Prize
School of Music
953 Danby Road
Ithaca, NY 14850-7000
Inquiries: Christopher Hughes, Director of Bands