Heckscher Foundation-Ithaca College Composition Prize
2017 Ithaca College International Heckscher Composition Prize
The Ithaca College School of Music is pleased to announce the 2017 Heckscher Foundation–Ithaca College International Composition Prize. This year the competition will award the best work for chamber ensemble of minimum 4, maximum 7 players submitted by a composer of any age or nationality. Works with electronics are not acceptable at this time, and the work’s duration must be a maximum 15 minutes. Pieces submitted to the competition may have been previously performed or awarded other prizes.
The composer of the winning work will receive a cash award of $1,750, and a performance by the Ithaca College Contemporary Ensemble. The composer of the winning work is expected to attend the award performance at Ithaca College on April 19, 2018.
The work shall be scored for a minimum of 4 and maximum of 7 performers, from the following pool instruments (one each, i.e. no repeated instruments are accepted):
1 Flute (doubling piccolo and/or alto flute)
1 Percussion (one player)
The Heckscher Foundation-Ithaca College Composition Prize will not provide travel/accommodation allowance.
Submission deadline is November 15, 2017. The winning work will be announced on the Ithaca College Heckscher Competition website by December 4, 2017. The winner will be contacted via e-mail.
- Submissions must be anonymous.
- Only ONE submission per composer will be accepted.
- Score and recording must show the title of the work only. Should any part of the composer’s name be legible on the score, recording or linked URLs, the entry will be disqualified.
- To submit materials electronically, please use the online entry form found on this link. To submit your materials, you will need to provide direct URLs to the following:
- Score in PDF format (no other format will be accepted)
- Recording, audio or video (if available). For audio, mp3 is preferred.
- Text or PDF document containing your full name, address, telephone number and e-mail address. This document should be labeled with the title of your piece plus the words “contact info”, example: "Mypiece-contactinfo.pdf"
- PDF, audio, video and text files should be uploaded to platforms such as Dropbox, Megaupload, or any hosting space, making sure that no part of the URL or linked page reveals the identity of the composer. Your materials must be available at the provided URL until at least December 30, 2017.
- Electronic submissions or links sent via e-mail or any other method aside from the specified above will not be accepted.
- If you are submitting materials in hard copy:
- Bound, anonymous score
- Recording (audio CD only)
- Sealed envelope containing the composer’s name, address, telephone number and e-mail address (Write only the title of the musical work on the envelope.)
- Please send all materials to:
School of Music
Attn: Composition Area/Heckscher Prize
953 Danby Rd
Ithaca, NY 14850
Please note that online submission via the form below or mail-in submissions are the only valid forms of electronic submission. Do NOT send materials or links via e-mail. Electronic submissions are strongly encouraged.
To access the online form, follow this link or copy and paste the URL below into your web browser's address bar:
Should you have any questions, please send an e-mail to Emmanuel Berrido at firstname.lastname@example.org.