Dear Students, Faculty, and Staff,
Our campus sits geographically far away from the hurricanes and earthquakes that have devastated entire communities in Texas, Florida, Mexico, Puerto Rico, and throughout the Caribbean. However, these tragedies have directly touched many members of our community.
We know many of our students have come from these areas, and that they are worried about their homes, families, and friends. We have reached out directly to those with mailing addresses from these regions, but we also know there are many more students with ties to those places. Many of our faculty and staff also come from these areas and have family members or friends who have been affected. This series of events has left us saddened for so many people who are in need and feeling distress. We join with the rest of the IC community in sending our thoughts and prayers to everyone who is attempting to cope in the aftermath of these events.
We reach out to ask you to support one another, and to ask you if there is anything that we can do to offer help during this time. We also want to make sure you are aware of the campus resources available to help you. If you need someone to offer assistance or even just to talk to, we encourage you to reach out in the following ways:
For Faculty and Staff:
- Counseling services through the Employee Assistance Program at 1-800-327-2255.
- Your Resident Assistant or the RA on Duty. The name of the RA on Duty each night is posted on your RA’s room door and at the access phone to your residence hall.
- The Residence Director for your area or the RD on Duty. You can reach the RD on Duty after business hours by calling the Office of Public Safety at 607-274-3333.
- Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) at 607-274-3136. You can request same-day crisis services if needed.
- The college chaplains at 607-274-3185.
To Help Those in Need:
For those of you who are looking for ways to contribute to aid efforts, the United Way of Tompkins County has set up a website for hurricane disaster relief. Contributions can also be made through the American Red Cross and Oxfam Mexico.
We will continue to update you with news of any campus-based disaster relief activities. In the meantime, please let us know if there is anything we can do to offer you support and assistance.
Linda Petrosino, Provost and Vice President for Educational Affairs, email@example.com
Rory Rothman, Associate Provost Student Life, firstname.lastname@example.org
Bonnie Solt Prunty, Director of Residential Life, email@example.com