Employees who leave Ithaca College in good standing and later wish to return, will be granted rehire status. An employee who is granted rehire status will be eligible for prior service credit for purposes of calculating Paid Time Away, Years of Service Recognition, Tuition Remission, and Ithaca College Retirement Eligibility.
CALCULATION OF PRIOR SERVICE CREDIT
When a former employee is reemployed with rehire status, the following will apply:
Credited Service Calculation for Paid Time Away, Years of Service Recognition, and Tuition Remission
- Credited Service is equal to the total years of benefit-eligible service, minus any breaks in service that are due to a separation from employment. Credited service calculations are not pro-rated based on the employee’s percent of full-time.
Credited Service Calculation for Ithaca College Retirement Eligibility
- Credited service is equal to the total years of benefit-eligible service, minus any breaks in service that are due to a separation from employment and prorated based on the employee’s percent of full-time.
Credited service includes but is not limited to:
- benefit-eligible service
- approved paid leaves of absence
Except where required by applicable law, credited service does not include:
- student employment
- non-benefit-eligible service
- time during a break in service
- approved unpaid leaves of absence
- To be eligible for dependent tuition remission benefits, the rehired employee must complete 3 years of continuous benefit-eligible employment following rehire.
- To be eligible for post-retirement paid health insurance, the rehired employee must have been originally hired prior to January 1, 2007 and must complete 3 years of continuous benefit-eligible employment (prorated based on the rehired employee’s percent full-time if less than 100%) following rehire. In addition, the rehired employee must meet retirement eligibility criteria commencing with the date of rehire.
- Upon request of the employee, any amount of medical paid time away that was forfeited at the time of separation may be reinstated upon rehire if the rehired employee is rehired within 6 years of their last separation. This reinstatement is only effective upon request of the rehired employee within 30 days of the date of rehire.
EFFECTIVE DATE: January 1, 2020
Last updated: December 8, 2021