Q. Are Graduate Assistantships available?
A. Yes; the School of Music, Theatre, and Dance offers graduate assistantships in a number of areas on a competitive basis. [more info]

Q. I did not fully finish my Undergraduate Degree.  Can I still apply for the Graduate program?
A. No; all applicants must have an undergraduate degree from an accredited institution with at least 36 credit hours in music.

Q. I did not receive an undergraduate degree in Music Education.  Can I pursue a Masters degree in Music Education at Ithaca College?
A. No; Applicants must hold an initial or provisional teaching certificate, normally earned through an undergraduate music education degree.

Q. What TOEFL scores does Ithaca College require?
A. The Test of English as a First Language is required of nonnative speakers. Our minimum score is 550 on the paper test, 213 on the computerized test, and 80 on the iBT version. The graduate chair may waive this requirement if there is evidence of English language competence (for example, successful completion of intensive English training or graduation from an English-speaking college).  [more info]

Q. Does the School of Music require GRE scores?
A. GRE scores are not required for students entering the MM or MS in Music Education programs.

Q. Can I transfer credits from another graduate program to Ithaca College?
A. Yes; courses submitted for transfer credit must be appropriate and applicable to the student’s degree or teacher certification program, and a grade of B or better must have been earned. Transferable credits must have been earned not more than three years before matriculation, and no more than 6 credits may be transferred and applied toward an advanced degree. Grades acquired in transferred courses are not applicable to the graduate cumulative average. Students who have matriculated and who wish to earn graduate credit elsewhere for transfer to Ithaca College should obtain approval in writing from the graduate chair before registering for a course intended for transfer. The request must be supported by an official transcript sent directly to Ithaca College from the institutions at which the credit was obtained.

Additional questions about Graduate Studies in Music?

Contact Professor Les Black, the Chair of Graduate Studies.