What are the bulletin board rules in the Center for Music?

There are several bulletin boards around the building. Notices and announcements of immediate importance are posted on these boards. Recital posters may be posted on general bulletin boards and on lockers, please do not post them on painted walls, doors, or glass.

Is the School of Music, Theatre, and Dance Macintosh friendly?

Yes. The Center for Music’s computer lab and computer classroom use Macintosh computers exclusively. Additionally, most faculty, staff, and administrative offices use Macintosh computers. While compatibility may be advantageous for students, it is not necessary for students to adopt a Macintosh platform in order to complete required assignments and other activities here in the school. Students in the Composition degree program however are advised to consult their faculty members regarding compatibility with the composition workroom computers. Lab and classroom computers in the School are fully equipped with software for word processing, spreadsheets, database, and music notation (Finale and Sibelius).

What are the requirements for the Dean's List in the School of Music, Theatre, and Dance?

At the end of each semester, students who satisfy each of the following criteria are named to the Dean’s List in the School of Music, Theatre, and Dance:

  1. A minimum semester average of 3.7; freshman 3.5;
  2. Completion of at least 15 letter-grade credit hours (seniors who are student teaching must have at least 12 hours);
  3. No final grades of D, F, or I.

What is the primary communication tool in the School of Music, Theatre, and Dance?

Your Ithaca College email account is a primary means for communicating with others in the School of Music, Theatre, and Dance as well as the College. Please check it regularly or have messages forwarded to your other personal email address.

Does the School of Music, Theatre, and Dance insure all instruments?

The School of Music, Theatre, and Dance insures all of its own instruments, including those used by students for required ensembles and secondary study. Students' private instruments, however, are not insured by the School of Music, Theatre, and Dance. It is recommended that families examine purchase of additional riders on their homeowner policies to insure private instruments and other equipment brought from home.

What is the attendance policy?

The policy can be found in the catalog.

Can I take a music course for pass/fail?

No required course in any music degree program may be taken pass/fail, except for Recital Attendance, Recording Workshop, and Performance Repertory & Pedagogy.

Can I study more than one instrument?

Opportunities exist for students to study privately in areas beyond those required for their degree programs. These opportunities however require additional fees. In order to receive credit for additional study, students pay $580 per semester for additional lessons. Normally, students in their first semester of study at the School of Music, Theatre, and Dance are not allowed to take private lessons on more than one instrument through official means in the school. Other unofficial means of receiving private study in other areas are available from members of the community and other students.

Is there tutoring within the School of Music, Theatre, and Dance?

Music Theory and Aural Skills tutors are available for students. To sign up for a time, please click HERE.

Fundamentals tutoring is available to students. To sign up for a time, please click HERE.

For information about Keyboard Musicianship tutoring, please click HERE.