Undergraduate Application Process
|AP/IB Credit||Audition Dates||Acceptance/Notification|
|Early Decision||Financial Aid||Pre-Screening|
Review the Audition Requirements
Complete and Submit the Common Application ($60 fee)
- Early Decision Deadline: November 1 (Must select the December audition date)
- Regular Decision Deadline: December 1
Submit an Audition Form via GetAcceptd and choose an audition date ($30 fee)
(all applicants are encouraged to submit the Audition Form before December 1)
- On December 1, students will be invited to schedule their specific audition time(s)
- Students who need to change their audition date MUST contact the School of Music directly (firstname.lastname@example.org)
In addition to academic and musical background information, the Audition Form will ask applicants for:
- What are your career goals and aspirations?
- What are the skills and experiences you believe are most important to you achieving your career goals and aspirations?
- Why do you believe Ithaca College and the School of Music are a good fit for you and your collegiate studies?
Letter(s) of recommendation:
- One (1) reference from a public or private music teacher is required. Applicants are encouraged to submit more than one reference, if possible. Piano applicants must list their private piano teacher.
- Provide a brief résumé, including musical activities in high school, during summers, honors and awards received, leadership activities and/or offices held, and other significant non-music activities.
- Composition students must also upload two (2) of their original compositions (with sound recordings, if possible) via GetAcceptd
- Scores should exhibit a variety of instrumentation and/or vocal forces.
- Applicants are encouraged to include these with their Audition Form by December 1
- Applicants are also required to interview with the composition faculty during an on-campus audition date.
- An audition is not required for this degree program, but is necessary if an applicant would like to study privately on an instrument or voice)
Sound Recording Technology
- All Sound Recording Technology applicants must submit a pre-screening audition via GetAcceptd on their primary instrument by December 1
- Based on the pre-screening evaluation, students will be invited to schedule an on-campus audition, and must audition live
- All Voice applicants must submit a pre-screening audition via GetAcceptd by December 1
- One song in English
- One song in another language (Italian arias composed after 1750 will not be accepted)
Additional Requirements By Degree
B.M. in Jazz Studies
Jazz Applicants are required to prepare both a classical and jazz audition.
Video Recorded Audition
- While live auditions are strongly encouraged, video recorded auditions are accepted via your GetAcceptd Account.
- Deadline: January 15
Consideration for admission to Ithaca College and the School of Music involves three steps:
- Our faculty members assess the audition and provide an evaluation to the Dean and Director of Music Admission for the School of Music.
- The Director of Music Admission makes a recommendation to the College's Director of Admission based on the results of the audition and review of the music application and supporting documents.
- The College's Director of Admission makes an admission decision based on the admission committee's evaluation of academics and the admission recommendation from the School of Music.
In some cases, an applicant may not satisfactorily meet the audition requirements to be a music major but may still be admitted to Ithaca College for study in another degree. Conversely, an applicant may meet the music requirements but not be admitted to Ithaca College because of academic deficiencies.
The timeline for admission notification is dependent upon a number of variables. Most applicants will be notified of an admission decision between March 1 and April 1. Some applicants may be notified sooner, if possible.
Admission to Ithaca College and the School of Music is selective. The number of applicants far exceeds the number of available spaces in studios and programs. As a result, some applicants will be offered a place on a wait list. Applicants may choose to accept or deny a wait-list offer.
If the offer is accepted, the student may be considered for admission if a space becomes available. Applicants typically receive final notification before or during the month of April.
The Office of Admission encourages qualified candidates who have selected Ithaca College as their first choice to apply early decision. Music applicants who apply early decision must audition on the December on-campus audition date.
See Undergraduate Admission: Early Decision for more information.
The School of Music does not participate in the early action program.
The Office of Student Financial Services is committed to partnering with families to assist all students in meeting educational costs through scholarships, grants, loans, and work-study programs whenever possible. Talent-, merit-, and need-based scholarships are available. See Financial Aid at Ithaca for more information.
Ithaca College currently accepts Advanced Placement Exams, CLEP exams, and International Baccalaureate Exams. Exam results must be sent directly to the Office of the Registrar from the testing agency.
Still Have Questions?
3322 Whalen Center for Music
Ithaca, NY 14850