Undergraduate Application Process
|AP/IB Credit||Audition Information||Acceptance/Notification||Transfer Release Form|
|Early Decision||Financial Aid||Pre-Screening||Transfer Students|
Review the Audition Requirements
Complete and Submit the Common Application ($60 fee)
- Early Decision Deadline: November 1 (Must select the December audition date)
- Regular Decision Deadline: December 1
The deadline has passed.
However, we still accepting Transfer Applications (no voice)
(please email firstname.lastname@example.org)
Submit an Audition Form via GetAcceptd and choose an audition date ($30 fee)
(all applicants are encouraged to submit the Audition Form before December 1; Early Decision submissions are due by November 1)
- On December 1, students will be invited to schedule their specific audition time(s)
- Students required to submit pre-screening materials will upload their materials through the Audition Form in addition to selecting their preferred audition date
- Students who need to change their audition date MUST contact the School of Music directly (email@example.com)
In addition to academic and musical background information, the Audition Form will ask applicants for:
- What are your career goals and aspirations?
- What are the skills and experiences you believe are most important to you achieving your career goals and aspirations?
- Why do you believe Ithaca College and the School of Music are a good fit for you and your collegiate studies?
Letter(s) of recommendation:
- One (1) reference from a public or private music teacher is required. Applicants are encouraged to submit more than one reference, if possible. Piano applicants must list their private piano teacher.
- Provide a brief résumé, including musical activities in high school, during summers, honors and awards received, leadership activities and/or offices held, and other significant non-music activities.
Music Education Response (optional, if applicable):
- Students applying for music education are invited to provide a video response to "Why do you want to become a music educator? (2-minute maximum) This is not required to submit the Audition Form.
Music Composition Scores (if applicable):
- Students applying for composition will be asked to submit two scores of original works (with sound files, if possible)
- Information regarding acceptable electronic formats can be found here.
- Information regarding pre-screening requirements by instrument can be found here.
- Please note that all Undergraduate Voice and Sound Recording Technology applicants must submit a video recording.
Additional Requirements By Degree
B.M. in Jazz Studies
Jazz Instrumental Applicants are required to prepare both a classical and jazz audition.
Applicants are encourage to audition on-campus, in order to demonstrate their ability to improvise with a live rhythm section (provided by Ithaca College).
Applicants must also prepare several song selections from the list of approved selections at the following page: For Jazz Studies Majors
- B.M. in Composition, B.M. in Sound Recording Technology, and B.M. in Jazz Studies applicants
must select an on-campus audition date.
- Percussion applicants are highly encouraged to perform an on-campus audition.
- Regional auditions are not available for:
Consideration for admission to Ithaca College and the School of Music involves three steps:
- Our faculty members assess the audition and provide an evaluation to the Dean and Director of Music Admission for the School of Music.
- The Director of Music Admission makes a recommendation to the College's Director of Admission based on the results of the audition and review of the music application and supporting documents.
- The College's Director of Admission makes an admission decision based on the admission committee's evaluation of academics and the admission recommendation from the School of Music.
In some cases, an applicant may not satisfactorily meet the audition requirements to be a music major but may still be admitted to Ithaca College for study in another degree. Conversely, an applicant may meet the music requirements but not be admitted to Ithaca College because of academic deficiencies.
The timeline for admission notification is dependent upon a number of variables. Most applicants will be notified of an admission decision between March 1 and April 1. Some applicants may be notified sooner, if possible.
Admission to Ithaca College and the School of Music is selective. The number of applicants far exceeds the number of available spaces in studios and programs. As a result, some applicants will be offered a place on a wait list. Applicants may choose to accept or deny a wait-list offer.
If the offer is accepted, the student may be considered for admission if a space becomes available. Applicants typically receive final notification before or during the month of April.
The Office of Admission encourages qualified candidates who have selected Ithaca College as their first choice to apply early decision. Music applicants who apply early decision must audition on the December on-campus audition date.
See Undergraduate Admission: Early Decision for more information.
The School of Music does not participate in the early action program.
The Office of Student Financial Services is committed to partnering with families to assist all students in meeting educational costs through scholarships, grants, loans, and work-study programs whenever possible. Talent-, merit-, and need-based scholarships are available. See Financial Aid at Ithaca for more information.
Ithaca College currently accepts Advanced Placement Exams, CLEP exams, and International Baccalaureate Exams. Exam results must be sent directly to the Office of the Registrar from the testing agency.
Still Have Questions?
3322 Whalen Center for Music
Ithaca, NY 14850