This award is given in memory of Cecelia Shimer and is awarded to a graduate student in speech-language pathology who has demonstrated academic excellence and contributions to the profession.
Chasse M. Guerrera
Cecelia Shimer Memorial Award
As a graduate student going into speech-language pathology, a specialized field, picking the right graduate program was an important task. I wanted a school that could provide a great learning experience, while also acting as a home for the next two years. Spending four years at Ithaca College for my undergraduate degree, I made some of the best memories and cultivated lasting relationships. With that in mind, I knew that I wanted to continue my education here almost immediately after being accepted to the graduate program.
Growing my connection with both my fellow graduate peers and the Department of Speech-Language Pathology has easily been my most memorable experience at Ithaca College. It only took a short time for our 13-person cohort to go from acquaintances to best friends. We had every class together, but also spent almost all of our time outside of classes hiking, studying, and proofreading each other’s research papers in the workroom. Working with Dr. Hosbach-Cannon on research and traveling to Texas to present is another experience I will treasure forever. Not only did I gain an incredible wealth of knowledge from an amazing mentor, but I gained a life-long friend as well.
Academic Achievements and Personal Highlights
- Summa Cum Laude
- Dean's List
- Baker-Jones Award (2017)
- Alpha Eta and Phi Kappa Phi Honor Societies
- Teaching Assistant, Anatomy and Physiology of the Speech and Hearing Mechanisms
- Researcher, “Breathiness as a factor of contact quotient in the perception of femininity in the male-to-female transgender voice”
- Research Assistant, "Sonographic assessment of hyoid elevation and suprahyoid contraction during four controlled protocols"
- James J. Whalen Academic Symposium presentation (2018, 2019)
- The Fall Voice Conference presentation (2019)
- HSHP Student Advisory Council member