Become a member of the Ithaca College teacher education community!
In our programs, you will become a transformative, culturally competent teacher as you:
- collaborate with faculty and future colleagues to learn best pedagogical practices
- connect theory with practice in public school classrooms
- travel together to New York City to visit and teach in our urban partnership schools
- see for yourself that equity and excellence in education are profoundly interconnected
- plan and conduct your own teacher inquiry research project and present at our annual conference
- acquire the knowledge, competence, and commitment you will need to serve an increasingly diverse student population in our nation’s schools.
Why choose IC for graduate study in teacher education?
- Our teacher candidates begin their graduate programs one summer and are fully eligible for graduation, initial certification, and a teaching position by the following summer.
- Students in our M.A.T. and Childhood Education programs have a 96% pass rate on edTPA (the new teacher performance assessment required for certification in New York).
- Our graduates get jobs -- in rural, urban, and suburban school districts in New York, surrounding states, and around the country (for instance, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, North Carolina, and Virginia).
- The cost per credit for IC graduate study is less than IC's undergraduate tuition and is competitive with programs offered on the SUNY campuses.
- We offer Tuition Scholarships and Graduate Assistantships for academically-talented applicants in both adolescence and childhood education and Noyce Scholarships (through the National Science Foundation) for students in math and science education.
- Small class sizes allow for academic, research, and community-based collaborations among faculty and students