Conference on Women, Religion and Human Rights
This conference, that will bring together thirty experts, religious scholars and practitioners of different religions from around the world, will focus on the following topics:
- Reinterpretation of scripture and tradition and an “un-reading” of patriarchal theologies
- Reforms in religious family or personal status laws, in the light of universal human rights standards
- Reforms in court practices and procedures with regards to the implementation of religious personal status laws.
The aim of the conference is to:
- Network between theologians, practitioners and religious leaders working on reforms in religious family laws from different religions and different parts of the world
- Highlight theological discourses that give legitimacy to achieving universal human rights standards in the religious personal status laws
- Showcase best practices in reforms of religious personal status laws
- Allow a common reflection on the challenges that face such reforms and the ways to address them
The conference will be in both Arabic and English with available simultaneous translation. The proceedings of the conference will be published in Arabic.