The College offers employees the opportunity to apply for up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave due to the birth, adoption, or illness of an employee or immediate family member. According to the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), the federal government requires employers to grant unpaid leaves of absence lasting up to 12 weeks in a 12-month period for the following qualifying events for FMLA:
- the birth of a child and to care for the newborn child within one year of birth (for Maternity see Short Term Disability)
- the placement of a child with the employee for adoption or foster care and to care for the newly placed child within one year of placement
- the care of a spouse, son, daughter, or parent of the employee who has a serious health condition
- a serious health condition that makes the employee unable to perform the essential functions of his/her job (see Short Term Disability)
- any qualifying exigency arising out of the fact that the employee's spouse, child, or parent is a covered military member on "covered active duty" (see Employee Rights and Responsibilities document above)
For more information on FMLA, please review section 18.104.22.168.1 of the Policy Manual or click here.