Workplace Accommodations

In its hiring and personnel actions, Ithaca College does not discriminate against individuals who have disabilities. The College provides reasonable accommodations for applicants and employees with disabilities so they can complete the application process or perform their work.

During each new employee’s onboarding, the College offers an opportunity for the employee to identify him/herself as an individual with a disability. However, an employee may self-identify as having a disability at any time by contacting a member of the Benefits team in the Office of Human Resources at or by calling (607) 274-8000.

All College employees have a legal obligation to maintain confidentiality regarding a staff or faculty member’s disability-related information. To that end, information shall be provided to others only when necessary to facilitate accommodations. All medical documentation shall be maintained in Benefits.

How to Request an Accommodation

Employees may request an accommodation by completing an Accommodation Request Form and submitting it to Benefits at PRW Center, Ithaca College, Ithaca, New York 14850. Request forms are also available in the Office of Human Resources. Staff members are available to answer questions regarding reasonable accommodations.

Submit a Request or Review Request Details


Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), any employee or applicant with a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more of his or her major life activities is eligible to request a reasonable accommodation. The impairment must be permanent or for an extended duration. Employees and applicants are also eligible if they have a record of such impairment or if they are regarded by others as having such an impairment.

Under the New York State Human Rights Law (NYSHRL), any employee or applicant with a physical, mental, or, medical impairment resulting from anatomical, physiological, genetic or neurological conditions will be eligible to request a reasonable accommodation if that impairment prevents the exercise of a normal bodily function. Employees and applicants are also eligible if they have a record of such impairment or if they are regarded by others as having such an impairment.

A major life activity is a function such as caring for oneself, performing manual tasks, walking, seeing, hearing, speaking, breathing, learning, or working.


A person who is not satisfied with the accommodation(s) provided is encouraged to communicate his or her concerns to the Director of Benefits. In the event that the disagreement is not resolved, the individual should contact the Office of Risk Management in the Division of Legal Affairs at or 607-274-3285.

Requesting Additional Accommodations

Employees with a current IAP on file are eligible to request additional accommodations for unique events or situations that arise. To request an accommodation for a unique situation that is not currently reflected in their IAP, employees must complete an additional Request for Accommodation form.

Temporary Disabilities

Individuals who have a short-term condition that is substantially limiting may request temporary accommodations by contacting Benefits at or 607-274-8000.