The Office of Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S) performs numerous services for fire and building safety that are required by the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), the New York State Education Department, the New York State Office of Fire Prevention and Control (OFPC), the Town of Ithaca Building and Zoning Department, and other regulatory bodies. Numerous inspections and tests, as well as routine maintenance, must be completed to ensure that all campus buildings are safe and that fire protection and detection systems are operative.
To accomplish this, we perform a myriad of services for the campus community:
- Fire and fire alarm emergencies
- Emergency medical and first-aid treatment
- Ithaca College Pre-Planning Document
Any individual with an accessible need should contact Environmental Health and Safety to pre-plan how to evacuate the building during an emergency based on location and requirements.
Individuals should fill the Ithaca College Pre-Planning Document. Environmental Health and Safety will then arrange a meeting to discuss a plan of action. The College cannot guarantee that aid will be available during an evacuation, so the individual must be prepared to evacuate as best they can unassisted.
- Monthly building safety inspections
- Annual fire safety inspections of buildings as prescribed by the state OFPC
- Electrical outlet wiring
- Fire alarms
- Fire extinguishers
- Fire hydrants
- Smoke detector sensitivity
- Sprinkler pump flow
- Quarterly fire drills
- Training of students and employees on fire safety
- Fire Extinguisher Training
If you would like to request a bonfire permit, please fill out Bonfire Permit.