FAQs for Park Students

You have questions. We have answers.

What You Will Find Below

We have compiled a list of frequently asked questions divided into the categories of Academics, Advising, Technology & Equipment, Professional Development & Internships, and Co-Curriculars, Clubs & Organizations. If you can't find what you are looking for, take a look at the Park Roadmap & Resources page for more information. 


How do I add or drop a class?

  • During the add/drop period you can log into your HomerConnect account to change classes. Please be aware that there are certain classes that are required for all first–year students to take. Please consult with an advisor before making changes.

What is the difference between my academic plan and my professional plan?

  • Your academic plan ensures you have a flexible, working plan to complete your degree within four years
  • Your professional plan looks at internships, networking, making contacts and discovering what you do (and maybe do not) want to do
  • The key here is that these are working plans; they may (and probably will) change

What if I want to change my major?

  • Change of major forms are completed online using ICWorkflow
  • First meet with your advisor to discuss options
  • Some degree programs will require a meeting with the program chair before a change is approved

How do I figure out my grades?

  • Every professor is different: some may post to Canvas, others may not
  • The best option is to meet with your professors during their scheduled office hours
  • End–of–semester grades will be posted on your HomerConnect and DegreeWorks account

What are office hours and how do I use them?

  • College professors have designated times during which you can meet with them.
  • Office hours should be posted on the course syllabus.
  • Or, you can email to find out their office hours.

How do I locate a professor’s contact information?

Do I own the rights to my films, videos, scripts, etc?

  • Yes. Park School students own the rights to the media projects, scripts, apps, research papers, and anything else they produce as course assignments. Media or stories that are produced through our student media such as ICTV, WICB-FM or The Ithacan are copyrighted by Ithaca College so that we have the rights to distribute the work, but students can use their work in their own portfolios.


How do I find out who my advisor is? 

  • You can view your advisor on DegreeWorks (top right side) or on your Student Profile on HomerConnect.

Am I required to meet with my advisor? 

  • While you are not required to meet with your advisor, it is highly recommended to meet with  your advisor once a semester to make sure your degree is on track.

How do I schedule and appt. with my advisor? 

  • You first point of contact would be an email. Each advisor may have a different way to make appointments, but always start out with an email.

Will my advisor be able to help with general degree requirements or questions just specific to my major? 

  • Your advisor will be able to help you with both general degree requirements and your major requirements. If they can’t answer a question, they will know who to refer you to.

Who should I contact if I have difficulty getting in touch with my advisor?

What if I want to drop a class outside of the add/drop period? 

  • You would need to complete a Withdrawal Form, which can be found on the Registrar’s website under Forms. If you need additional assistance, please email commdeansoffice@ithaca.edu.

How do I change my major?

  • Please use IC Workflow to add or change your major (some majors may not have seats available or require an additional application process). We strongly recommend you contact the Dean’s Office at 607-274-1021 or commdeansoffice@ithaca.edu prior to submitting the workflow request.
  • Please note: submitting a request via workflow is not a guarantee you will be accepted into the new major.

How do I add a minor?

  • A minor is declared using IC Workflow (some minors may require an additional application process).  Some minors require a semester worth of grades before you are able to declare the minor.
  • Please note: submitting a request via workflow is not a guarantee you will be accepted into the minor.


Professional Development & Internship FAQs

How do I get an internship?

  • First, read the internship FAQ  and Guidelines at ithaca.edu/rhp and click on “For Current Students” 
  • Then, look for opportunities and postings on Handshake using your NetPass account: https://app.joinhandshake.com/login
  • Next, contact Suzanne Brache, Career Engagement Specialist
  • You may take up to 12 credits of internship experience
  • You must work at least 45 hours per credit received
  • Academic requirements (once internship starts):
    • Send weekly emails about your experiences at the worksite to your faculty sponsor, as requested
    • Write a final reflective paper assessing aspects of the organization and your experience


If I am not a TV/R major, can I be a part of ICTV or a radio station?

  • Yes! Students from all areas of study are welcome to join any of the student media co-curriculars. We welcome students to take advantage of the hands-on opportunities to broaden their learning.