Frequently Asked Questions
Courses Counting for the CLA
- Can a non-liberal arts course count for the CLA? What if the minor or second major has required non-liberal arts courses?
- I am in the Honors program. Can I use Honors as a "minor" for the CLA?
- Can I use courses in my primary major to fulfill the CLA?
- Can the CLA be fulfilled by courses, minors, or second majors outside the School of Humanities and Sciences?
- Can I use AP, IB, or CLEP credits to fulfill part (or all) of the CLA?
- Can courses taken to satisfy the CLA be taken S/D/F?
- I have taken courses in my major area that are not used as requirements or elective in the major. Can I use these courses to fulfill part of the CLA?
- Can I include courses that have a Themes and Perspectives designation in my CLA?
- Do courses for the CLA have to be designated as “Theme and Perspective” (ICC) courses?
- Can I use courses that satisfy the Diversity, Quantitative Literacy, or Writing Intensive requirements of the ICC for the CLA?
- I am planning to study abroad. Can I count courses taken through a study abroad program for the CLA?