Ithaca College Occupational Therapy Students Provide Services To Ithaca Free Clinic
ITHACA, NY — To help the Ithaca Free Clinic facilitate health care to uninsured residents of Tompkins County, occupational therapy students and faculty from Ithaca College are providing their services to IFC clients. The new partnership began this fall.
“The Ithaca Free Clinic recognizes that there are many people in our community who lack access to healthcare because they don’t have medical insurance,” said Julie Dorsey, assistant professor of occupational therapy and faculty liaison in the partnership. “By partnering with the clinic, Ithaca College and the School of Health Sciences and Human Performance are taking part in a win-win situation — our students get hands-on opportunities to develop and use their skills and the clients at the clinic get much-needed rehabilitative service.”
The services will include:
- range of motion exercises to increase functional abilities,
- creating customized splints,
- engaging clients in meaningful activities (cooking, home management, self care, leisure),
- education in compensatory strategies to help people participate in daily activities (adaptive equipment, energy conservation strategies, joint protection techniques, body mechanics),
- community re-entry skills such as seeking employment, managing a bus schedule, grocery shopping, and budgeting.
The occupational therapy program in the college’s School of Health Sciences and Human Performance is a five-year program leading to a bachelor’s degree in Occupational Science and a master’s degree in Occupational Therapy.
Since opening at 225 S. Fulton St. in 2006, the Ithaca Free Clinic has been offering conventional medical and chiropractic care, nutritional counseling, and holistic treatments such as acupuncture, herbal medicine, and massage therapy. These services are free to residents of Tompkins County without medical insurance.
Originally published in News Releases: Ithaca College Occupational Therapy Students Provide Services To Ithaca Free Clinic.