Room Changes

As it is vitally important to your safety that our records accurately reflect where you reside on campus, room changes made without prior approval by the Office of Residential Life, including moves from one bedroom to another within a Circle or Garden Apartment, are subject to judicial action.

There are several options available for students interested in changing rooms. However, if you are experiencing difficulties with a roommate, we encourage you to first discuss the situation with your RA before pursuing any of these. If you are unable to work with your RA to make your living arrangement better, contact your Residence Director to determine how your roommate issue can be resolved. Only in the event that all types of mediation are unsuccessful may a room change be facilitated.

Wait List Requests

Wait List forms are made available during the Fall and Spring semesters, and during Summer Break. Wait Lists provide you an opportunity to be reassigned to any room type or area as space is available. There is no guarantee that the Office of Residential Life will be able to offer you a Wait List reassignment.

During the academic year, if your Wait List request can be satisfied, you will be offered a new assignment and given a limited period of time to either accept or decline. If you decline, your request will be removed from that Wait List and you will need reapply in order to be considered for a similar space.

During Summer recess, your request will authorize the Office of Residential Life to change your room assignment without notice so long as the assignment is one of your preferences. You will first be able to verify any new room assignment when you log into HomerConnect in August.

Vacancy Requests

Vacancies occur in rooms and apartments for a variety of reasons and often without prior notice. Room- and apartment-mates may be unaware of a vacancy until after it must be filled. For this reason, you are strongly urged to submit a Vacancy form for every process to insure that a vacancy will be filled with your preference taking precedence.

You may request one or more of these options to fill a vacancy:

  • the vacancy be filled a housing-eligible student.
  • an interest to buy out the vacancy (available only during the spring semester) which is not guaranteed to be honored.
  • that the Office of Residential Life fill the vacancy.

If a Vacancy Form is not on file when a vacancy occurs (if a vacancy occurs while classes are in session, residents have five business days to submit a Vacancy form), the Office of Residential Life will assign a student to the vacancy. In certain instances, the Office of Residential Life will force the consolidation of apartment residents.

One-to-One Swaps

A One-to-one room change will never create an empty space in a room or apartment. You can swap room assignments with another student if:

  • All students affected by the room changes agree to the proposed switch.
  • The room changes take place in consultation with a Residence Director (during the Summer recess, swaps may be facilitated by the Assistant Director of Housing and Communications or their designee).
Board Policy and Room Changes

Students who move (or are directly reassigned) from a traditional room to a Circle Apartment, Garden Apartment, or Quad Apartment will need to contact Student Financial Services if they intend to continue their current meal plan. Students who move (or are directly reassigned) from a Circle Apartment, Garden Apartment, or Quad Apartment to a traditional room are automatically assigned to a standard meal plan which will be billed to their student account.