Tenant and Landlord Responsibilities
The renting of a living facility includes responsibilities on the part of you as a tenant and of your landlord. It is important that you know the responsibilities of both so that problems can be avoided.
- Provide a place that is habitable.
- Provide facilities for hot water, heat, and gas or electricity (unless the tenant agrees to provide them).
- Avoid interfering with the tenant's quiet enjoyment of the premises so long as use of the premises is lawful and not damaging.
- Put security deposits in a separate bank account.
- Promptly return the security deposit in the time and manner required.
- Pay rent and a security deposit if requested.
- Not damage the premises.
- Maintain the occupied portion of the premises in a clean, sanitary, and safe condition.
- Inform the landlord of the need for repairs.
- Avoid interfering with neighbors (see Joining a Community).