Responding Party FAQ

Responding Party FAQs

Individuals who make a report to the Title IX Office can choose to pursue Judicial and/or a Criminal Process. Sometimes, an informal measure will be considered, like a mediation agreement between both parties.

You are not required to obtain a lawyer, but you may do so, if you wish. An attorney may act as an advisor in an on-campus discipline procedure as well.

You can get in contact with a college trained advisor by reaching out to Omar Stoute, Title IX Deputy Coordinator or Linda Koenig, Title IX Coordinator, for a full list of advisors.

Your advisor can be anyone you deem appropriate: friend, faculty member, parent, advocate, attorney, etc. The Title IX Office can also help connect you to a College-trained Advisor at your request.

Review Ithaca College’s policy on Sexual Misconduct and Ithaca College's Student Conduct Code to become familiar with your rights and responsibilities. You can also contact the Title IX Office with questions.

Helpful resources can be found in the Respondent Brochure. Some strategies to help a friend include:

  • Listen: Practice active listening skills by reflecting what they tell you and offering support.
  • Let your Friend Lead the Conversation: Allow your friend to determine the pace and focus of the conversation.
  • Avoid Asking Questions: Do not ask your friends judgmental questions or make judgmental statements. Avoid "why" questions whenever possible.
  • Take Care of Yourself: Know and respect your own boundaries. Seek support from resources on and off campus for yourself.
  • Access Support for Your Friend: You can submit an ICARE referral for your friend. For immediate support or in the case of an emergency contact Public Safety at (607) 274-3333

If you have any questions or concerns, reach out to the Title IX Office at 607-274-7761.

On a case by case basis and when in the best interest of the involved parties, notification may be made. The College reserves the right to notify parents or guardians of judicial incidents and sanctions in accordance with FERPA. If a student's ability to remain in housing or at the college is in jeopardy, their parents will be notified. Additionally, if there is a concern for the student's health and safety or how the student is impacting the community, parents will be notified. The College uses parental notification as a helpful tool for creating partnerships and opportunities for success for our students. 

Yes, we can help you work with the Office of Residential Life to relocate you to a new space on campus. Go to Preventing Sexual Violence for more details.