You can support a friend who is making a report or responding to a report of sexual misconduct. Helpful resources can be found in the Reporting Party Brochure and Responding Party Brochure available below. Some strategies to help a friend include:
- Listen: Practice active listening skills by reflecting what they tell you and offering support.
- Let your Friend Lead the Conversation: Allow your friend to determine the pace and focus of the conversation.
- Avoid Asking Questions: Do not ask your friends judgmental questions or make judgmental statements. Avoid "why" questions whenever possible.
- Take Care of Yourself: Know and respect your own boundaries. Seek support from resources on and off campus for yourself.
- Access Support for Your Friend: You can submit an ICARE referral for your friend. For immediate support or in the case of an emergency contact Public Safety at (607) 274-3333
If you have any questions or concerns, reach out to the Title IX Office at 607-274-7761.