The H&S Summer Scholars Program for 2021 will have a revised timeline due to the challenging times we are in. Details still being work on but applications coming soon. Check back for updates.
STEM Project Pathway
Students who are interested in doing research in the STEM fields are encouraged to explore all of the different projects that Faculty Mentors are currently working on.
Faculty in these departments are actively engaged in field and lab-based projects that involve students in immersive research every summer.
Applications for Summer 2020 are now closed. Please check back for information about the summer 2021 program.
Each of these departments has at least one position available each summer, and often multiple positions are available.
Most departments expect students to participate in a faculty-organized project, but some also provide opportunities for students to develop their own projects with faculty oversight.
- Anthropology (focus on ongoing, faculty-led research in biological anthropology)
- Biology (includes biochemistry projects)
- Chemistry (includes biochemistry projects)
- Computer Science
- Environmental Studies and Sciences (focus on faculty-designed natural science research projects)
- Psychology (focus on ongoing, faculty-led research program)
- Physics and Astronomy
If you are interested in participating in a research project during the summer, be sure to consult the department's website for detailed information on the faculty with open positions for summer mentored projects. On the application, you will be invited to identify the faculty member or project you would like to work on. A committee composed of faculty in the STEM departments reviews applications and makes recommendations regarding award recipients.
Funding Sources for STEM Projects
Most positions are available to students regardless of financial need. The positions available through the H&S Summer Scholars Program include research projects supported by:
- The H&S Science Research Fund and the H&S Annual Fund
- External grants awarded to IC Faculty through the NSF, NIH, or other agencies or foundations
- Specific department-based scholarships such as the American Chemical Society Summer Research Fellowship
- Ithaca College Dana Internship Program (for financial aid eligible students)
In order to receive consideration for a Dana Internship or other award requiring financial aid eligibility, you must have your FAFSA on file with Student Financial Services by February 1.
Please review the Program Expectations and Eligibility Requirements on Information for Students before submitting your application.
All students apply to the H&S Summer Scholars Program via an online application form.
To view a blank version of last year's application form, please click here. Please know that this application will be revised for summer 2021.
|Application Opens||February 1, 2021|
March 1, 2021
|Awards Announced||April 1, 2021|
|Confirmation of Participation||April 15, 2021|