In response to the coronavirus pandemic, many providers are offering new services and incentives. In addition, the FCC has established some rules to prevent service providers from disconnecting service and to open WiFi hotspots for others to use. Updated 3/22/2020.
- Comcast COVID-19 response: offers free WiFi for 2 months to low-income families plus all Xfinity hotspots are free to the public during this time
- Spectrum: Offering free Internet offer for 2 months
- AT&T COVID-19 response: offers open hotspots, unlimited data to existing customers, and $10/month plans to low-income families
- OTTCTEL COVID-19 response: (Ontario and Trumansburg Telephone companies) is offering expedited free installation
- Check your regional options. We recommend doing a search at all of your local providers and contacting them as there may be something newly available with favorable incentives. - Some of the providers (there are others) in the to Ithaca region are Clarity Connect, Haefele Connect, FIBERSPARK, and Empire Access:
- You can use your cell phone to create a hotspot.
- Verizon COVID-19 response: no special offers, but following the FCC agreement
- Sprint COVID-19 response: follows FCC agreement, provides unlimited data to existing customers, and, starting Tuesday, 3/17/2020, will allow all handsets to enable hot-spots for 60 days at no extra charge
- T-Mobile COVID-19 response: follows FCC agreement, plus unlimited data to existing customers, and, coming soon, will allow all handsets to enable hot-spots for 60 days at no extra charge
Consider community resources for drive-up WiFi or outdoor WiFi at parks that you feel are safe. See if your local library has free outdoor WiFi.
In addition, Ithaca College has a number of parking lots across campus where IC faculty can park and get a decent Ithaca College WiFi signal while sitting in a car.
IC faculty who are in the Ithaca area and have limited connectivity options off-campus may drive to campus to use one of these parking spots.*
We have updated the Ithaca College campus map to show these locations and listed them below.
- E Lot outside of Textor Hall — in the traffic circle and near Williams Hall
- F Lot outside of Smiddy and Center for Health Sciences — within the first few rows from the building
- G Lot outside of Hill Center
- L Lot in the spaces near Terrace 13
- O Lot outside the Roy H. Park School of Communications and Rothchild Place — within the first few rows from the buildings
- P Lot outside of the Peggy Ryan Williams Center
- U Lot outside of Phillips Hall and Campus Center — within the first few rows from the building
If you are unsure of what option is best for you, please reach out to the IT service desk — we may be able to help point you in a direction to pursue.
* Note: Remote education is an essential service that is exempt from the Governor’s 100% reduction of in-person workforce reduction. However, even those performing essential services must continue to abide by social distancing of at least 6 feet for the health and welfare of all.