International Student Insurance

Health care is very expensive in the US and so international students must be covered by insurance which will provide assistance in case of illness, injury, or other health-related emergency.

All matriculated (degree-seeking) undergraduate students at Ithaca College are automatically enrolled in the College’s group insurance plan. Your student account is billed directly for this insurance coverage.

J-1 exchange students are required to carry insurance coverage as specified by the US Department of State. The minimum coverage should include:

  • Medical benefits of at least $50,000 per person per accident or illness;
  • Deductible that does not exceed $500 per accident or illness;
  • Repatriation of remains in the amount of at least $7,500;
  • Medical evacuation expenses of at least $10,000;
  • Insurance for the duration of study abroad stay.

If you already have comparable insurance coverage from another source and you do not want to purchase the Ithaca College insurance coverage, you must submit an online waiver form which can be submitted by logging in to your HomerConnect account. 

PLEASE NOTE: This does not apply to graduate students. If you have any questions regarding the Ithaca College insurance plan, please contact the Hammond Health Center at tel. (607)-274-3177 or visit their Student Insurance webpage for additional information..

Be advised that Ithaca College strongly recommends that you consider purchasing an external insurance plan, which can provide you with a better coverage than the minimum coverage of the Ithaca College insurance plan.