On-Campus Employment Guidelines:

Full-time enrolled F-1 students who have maintained their status and are otherwise eligible for employment may work on campus.  Students should check with Student Employment and the Payroll Office for the paperwork they need to complete and the information they need to provide to the College. No additional immigration application or authorization is necessary and the employment does not have to be related to the student’s field of study. F-1 students may work for up to 20 hours per week when school is in session and up to 40 hours per week during vacation periods and when school is not in session, as long as the students intend to enroll full-time for the next regular semester. F-1 students may not engage in on-campus employment after completing their course of study, unless the student has received an EAD card and is eligible for employment for Optional Practical Training. Upon initial entry to begin a new course of study, an F-1 student may not begin on-campus employment more than 30 days prior to the beginning of classes. In the case of a school transfer, the student may engage in on-campus employment only at the school having jurisdiction over the student’s SEVIS record.

Off-Campus Employment Guidelines

Off-campus employment is any type of job, work or service performed in exchange for money, tuition, training, room, board, books, supplies, or any other form of remuneration. Advance authorization is required in order to pursue any form of off-campus employment. In order to work off-campus, an F-1 student must have maintained F-1 status for 1 full academic year, be in good standing as determined by the DSO, and obtain advance authorization from the DHS (for employment under severe economic hardship or Optional Practical Training) or from the DSO (for employment for the purpose of Curricular Practical Training). The employment authorization is automatically terminated whenever the student fails to maintain status.