Print Management Program
Tips for Students
- Use the Print Preview feature to see how a document will print. Only print when satisfied with the preview.
- When printing PDFs from Sakai, save the document to the desktop, then print.
- Print PowerPoint slides as "handouts" to print multiple slides per page.
- Email or bookmark website URLs rather than printing them.
- Scan reading materials to your computer, tablet or smartphone.
- Create online accounts in Library databases to save research and searches.
- When making changes or corrections to a document, only print pages containing corrections.
- Do not resend a print job if it doesn’t immediately print. There may be other jobs ahead of yours in the queue or the printer may have run out of paper. IT lab consultants can help.
- Remember to log out of any programs and shut down the computer in a public computer lab or the Library to prevent others from using your account.
- When large volume printing is required, consider using the Print Shop. The Print Shop is more cost effective with prices ranging from $.03 (double-sided) to $.04 (single-sided) per sheet compared to the computer labs.
Tips for Faculty
- Consider adding this language to course syllabi regarding student print options: “Ithaca College recently implemented a print management program in the Library and campus computer labs. Please think carefully before printing and monitor your printing allowances. Visit www.ithaca.edu/its/printing for more information.”
- Post required reading material in Sakai and allow students to decide whether or not to print them. Many students today feel comfortable reading materials online.
- Distinguish between “course readings” and “readings that students will need to bring to class” on the course syllabus. Submit materials that students “will need to bring to class” (readings, PowerPoint Slides, handouts) to the College Print Shop and provide copies for sale at the Bookstore.
- Ask students to submit papers via email, Dropbox and/or Sakai assignments instead of hard copy. Provide feedback and comments on papers that are submitted electronically by using the Comment feature in Word.
- When large volume printing is required, consider using the Print Shop. The Print Shop is more cost effective with prices ranging from $.03 double-sided and $.04 single-sided per sheet compared to the computer labs.
© Copyright Ithaca College. All rights reserved; unauthorized use prohibited. All material on this server is produced by our community but, except for designated pages, is neither approved nor verified by Ithaca College.