Travel Authorization Form

A Travel Authorization Form (TAF) is the document OSE uses to collect information to review and authorize student organizations to travel.

Before you start your TAF, you need to know:

  • Travel details (destination, date, and purpose)
  • Final travel roster
  • Final travel budget
  • If you need a travel credit card
  • If you need to rent an IC owned/rented vehicle from an outside provider
    - Driver(s) name(s) and
    email address(es)

Timeline for submitting Travel Authorization Forms:

Typically, the Travel Authorization Form (TAF) is to be submitted on Engage at least FOUR WEEKS before the student organization’s intended departure date but even more than six weeks in advance to allow themselves enough time to have their trip authorized and still get the best rates/discounts on their desired accommodations. Travel expenses using student organization account funds are only guaranteed AFTER the trip’s TAF has been approved (authorized). This form must also be completed AFTER the student organization's designated trip coordinator has attended the required request-to-travel meeting. For additional information about the request-to-travel meeting, see step one of "Before Travel". 

Some organizations travel so frequently (every weekend, for example) that special considerations can be made for them. Student organizations who travel frequently should meet with the Student Organizations Business Coordinator in OSE for special consideration approval.

Once the TAF is submitted

There a few follow-up steps that must be taken after submitting a TAF involving the student organization adviser and all travelers.

1. Advisor Approval: Before your trip will be reviewed and authorized your advisor must submit a Request for Advisor Pre-Approval for OSE Student Org Travel form on Engage.

2. Travel Participation Forms: All travelers must submit a Travel Participation Form on Engage before your trip will be authorized.

3. Travel Credit Card Request Form: When you select ‘yes’ for wanting a travel credit card to use during travel on the TAF, the submitter will still also need to submit a Spending Request Form on Engage and choose the "Request a travel credit card" option.

4. Driving IC Owned and Rented Vehicles: Once the travel is authorized, the Student Organizations Business Coordinator in OSE will process requests to drive an IC owned vehicle or rent a vehicle from an outside provider through the Office of Facilities on behalf of the student organization. In order to drive an IC owned vehicle or a vehicle from an outside provider, a student must be approved by Ithaca College as outlined on Risk Management's website, including, but not limited to:

  • Be 21 years of age outside of Tompkins County, be 19 years of age inside Tompkins County.
  • Be an approved driver.
  • Submit the Driver Information Form each calendar year. It takes 14 business days for IC's insurance company to process this form.
  • Complete the Student Driver Safety Class. (This is free, and is taken online) Once this is completed, a student needs to complete a brief, written exam each calendar year.
  • Complete the Vehicle Request Form (for OSE student organization travel only) NOTE: This is NOT the vehicle request form on the Office of Facilities website, OSE student organizations must go through the OSE (not the Facilities Office) to facilitate reserving from the IC fleet of vehicles OR looking to reserve through Enterprise Rent-A-Car agency.)

Driving Personal Vehicles

Expenses incurred for personal vehicles for mechanical failure or accidents, including personal automobile insurance deductions, will not be reimbursed. Fines for parking or traffic violations are the responsibility of the traveler and will not be reimbursed.

Ithaca College STRONGLY ADVISES the use of college vehicles when traveling on behalf of your Ithaca College recognized student organization. If your organization elects to use their member's vehicles, be advised that the consequences of any unforeseen incident may be life changing. When using a personal vehicle for college-related business travel, the vehicle’s insurance will be considered primary coverage in the event of an accident. The traveler is responsible for any deductibles under the policy. The College's insurance may apply only if personal insurance limits are exceeded due to a catastrophic accident where a fatality and/or extremely serious injuries occur while on approved College business related travel.