Academic Policies

The College reserves the right to refuse registration to or to dismiss after registration any student whose presence would, in the judgment of the College, be detrimental to the College's interests. Student's Right to Petition

Each currently enrolled graduate student has the right to petition the provost to

  1. waive any of the all-College academic regulations;
  2. review any other academic issue that has not been resolved first by the instructor or subsequently by the graduate program chair and then by the dean..

In order to be considered, any such petition must be received by the office of the provost no later than the last day of classes of the fall or spring semester after the events which gave rise to the academic issue addressed in the petition.  Petitions related to grades must first follow the guideline under “Policy on Grade Disputes.”

To petition the provost, the student should submit a written petition to the dean of the school with a copy to the graduate program chair and a copy to any faculty member(s) involved.

The dean sends the petition to the provost, along with his or her recommendation. Each petition is considered by the provost or designee on an individual basis and is decided based on the facts that pertain to the particular student's situation. When it is appropriate and feasible, the provost or designee consults with the individuals involved before making the final decision. While a decision on appeal is pending, the student may continue to take courses in the program, except for clinical or fieldwork courses. Time Limitations

Candidates for an advanced degree are required to meet general and major-field requirements within six calendar years of their matriculation date. Some programs have more restrictive timelines that supersede this general policy. Any exception must be approved in writing by the dean of the school after review and recommendation by the Graduate Council.

Matriculation is an enrollment status applicable to the student who (1) has met admission standards established by a particular school, (2) has been accepted into a graduate degree program by the same school, (3) has registered for graduate courses at Ithaca College, and (4) after acceptance into a graduate program, has begun attending classes in those courses. Academic Performance

Graduate students are required to maintain a minimum semester GPA of 3.00 each semester in order to remain in good academic standing at the college level.  Graduate students must achieve a minimum cumulative, final GPA of 3.00 in order to graduate. GRADING SYSTEM

The acceptable grades and corresponding points for grade point average (GPA) calculations are as follows. All grades except S (satisfactory), U (unsatisfactory), P (pass), I (incomplete), PI (permanent incomplete) and W (withdrawn) are used in calculating a student's GPA.

























A student who receives a grade lower than B in a graduate course not designated as repeatable may repeat the course once with permission from the graduate chair.  For any course repeated under this policy, credit toward graduation requirements is granted only once, and only the highest grade received in the repeated course is counted in the cumulative GPA. The final grade earned for the repeated course, each time it is attempted, will remain on the transcript.  The cumulative GPA will not be adjusted under this policy for any courses repeated after a degree has been awarded, or for any course repeated before the fall semester of 2014.  Repeating a course may have financial aid implications; financial aid recipients intending to repeat a course should first seek advice from Student Financial Services. This policy applies only to courses taken at Ithaca College. GRADUATE POLICY ON ACADEMIC HONESTY

Students will be held accountable for submitting work that is only their own, including their portion of group projects. A student will also be held accountable for portions of group projects contributed by others that violate academic honesty guidelines if the student knowingly permits such portions to be submitted. A student may not take sole credit for group work, and further, a student may not submit the same work for more than one class or assignment unless expressly permitted.

Any instance of academic dishonesty will be immediately reported by the faculty member to the chair/director of the student’s graduate program and to the Ithaca College Office of Judicial Affairs.  In a documented case of academic dishonesty in the context of a culminating program assignment (such as a comprehensive exam or a graduate thesis), the student is subject to dismissal from the institution.  Possible consequences and procedures for appeal will otherwise be in keeping with those specified in the Ithaca College Student Handbook. Academic Warning

Upon completion of a semester or academic session of work at less than 3.00 semester GPA, the student will be issued an academic warning by the school dean. Warning will be removed upon completion of a full semester's course work at 3.00 GPA or better, or upon completion of the degree program with a minimum 3.00 GPA. A student must attain a semester GPA of 3.00 or higher while on academic warning to remain in their program.

This is the college-wide standard.  A particular program may have more specific requirements; additional information is available from the program office. Academic Dismissal

Two consecutive semesters or academic sessions below a cumulative 3.0 GPA will be grounds for dismissal from the degree program. For the purposes of this policy, one semester of coursework is defined as 9 credits or more in a single semester if full-time, or 6 credits or more accumulated across two semesters if part-time. In addition, any student receiving more than 3 credits of F will be subject to dismissal.

This is the college-wide standard.  A particular program may have more specific requirements; additional information is available from the program office. Comprehensive Examination

Some graduate programs may require a comprehensive examination; additional information about this requirement is available from the program office. Thesis and Project Requirements

Students required to complete a thesis or project as partial fulfillment of the degree requirements should request a thesis adviser through the department and register for the appropriate course and credits. If not required by the department or school, the thesis or project is optional. If a student elects to do either a thesis or a project, the credits earned may be applied toward a degree or be in addition to degree requirements, at the discretion of the department or school concerned.

If completing a thesis or research project:  after approval by the thesis adviser, the thesis or project should be submitted to the respective graduate program chair one month before the anticipated graduation date. The dean will review and approve all theses. It is the responsibility of the degree candidate to schedule an examination in defense of the thesis when submitting it to the graduate program chair. Use of Human Subjects in Research

All research projects at Ithaca College that use humans as subjects must be reviewed and approved by the All-College Review Board on Human Subjects Research. The use of human subjects refers to data collection via survey, supervised activity, and interview, as well as other methods.  The Ithaca College HSR Guidelines document is available on the Human Subjects Research website. Teacher Certification Requirements

Candidates enrolled in a degree program leading to teacher certification must acquire the competencies stipulated for that certification in addition to the requirements necessary to earn the master's degree. Program Changes

Changes in a semester program schedule must be made within the one-week add/drop period.

Students who remain enrolled, or who take an approved leave of absence, are required to fulfill the degree requirements of the catalog in effect at the time of their initial matriculation; if the degree requirements are changed, such students may instead elect to fulfill the revised requirements.  In order to do so, they must provide formal written notice to the Office of the Registrar as part of the application for graduation process, in accordance with published deadlines.

Students who withdraw and are subsequently readmitted will be bound by program and degree requirements in force during the academic year in which they are readmitted.

The College reserves the right to make changes in degree requirements, course offering regulations, and procedures contained herein as educational and financial considerations require. Application Process for Graduation

Ithaca College awards graduate degrees in May, June, August, October, and December. During the term preceding the awarding of the degree, the degree candidate must complete the following steps:

  • Candidates for graduation must file an application to graduate. The application must be filed online with the registrar by the specific filing deadline for May, June, August, October or December graduation, as shown in the academic calendar.
  • Confirm with the office of the registrar that any credits transferred from another institution are recorded on the transcript.
  • If there have been any changes in program requirements, confirm that approval has been obtained in writing from the program chair and school dean and verified by the assistant registrar for student services in the office of the registrar. This includes waivers, courses accepted in lieu of required courses, and verification that all program degree requirements have been met.
  • Satisfactorily complete comprehensive examinations, if applicable.
  • Verify with the graduate chair that all degree requirements have been met.
  • If desired, schedule an exit interview with the dean of your school at least one month before completion of the last semester. Leave of Absence STANDARD LEAVE

A standard leave of absence may be granted for up to one year to graduate students who wish to interrupt their studies at Ithaca College. Application for a standard leave of absence is handled through the dean. An appointment should be made with the program’s dean for an exit interview and to complete the proper application form.

If the student is enrolled in classes, taking a leave of absence by the withdrawal deadline date published in the academic calendar results in grades of W (withdrawn) in all courses other than completed block courses. Taking a standard leave of absence after the last date to withdraw as published in the academic calendar results in grades of F in all courses other than completed block courses.

The standard leave of absence allows the graduate student on leave the opportunity to register in advance for the semester of return.

If a graduate student takes a standard leave of absence and later is suspended, dismissed, placed on warning for unsatisfactory academic performance, or suspended or expelled as the result of a judicial decision, the sanctions take precedence over a regular leave of absence and stand as a matter of record. Academic warning becomes operative at the time of return to the College after a suspension.

Graduate students on a standard leave of absence who decide not to return to Ithaca College should contact the dean to apply for a program withdrawal. The date of separation for the standard leave of absence will be used as the date of separation for the withdrawal.

Graduate students who do not return after the specified standard leave of absence period and who do not apply for a program withdrawal are administratively withdrawn, and the last day of attendance will be considered the date the leave of absence began. Students withdrawn from a program are required to reapply in order to return to the College. In such instances, there is no guarantee of readmission. MEDICAL LEAVE

Graduate students who must leave the College because of medical or psychological conditions that necessitate their extended absence may request a medical leave of absence for up to two semesters. Application forms for medical leave for the current semester must be submitted to later than the last day of classes as published in the academic calendar.

Students with significant medical/psychological issues that arise during the final exam period should contact the chair of the graduate program or the dean of their school. Documentation of the serious nature of the medical/psychological condition must be provided, by a certified medical or mental health professional, to Hammond Health Center in order for the application to be complete. Approval must be given by the director of health services, who may consult with the director of counseling and psychological services and the chair of the graduate program or dean of the school in which the student is enrolled.

Students who were initially approved for one semester of medical leave may request a second semester by contacting the Health Center. Extending the medical leave beyond two semesters requires documentation from a certified medical or mental health professional as stated above and requires approval from the dean of the student’s school.

When a medical leave of absence is granted, the course grade in all courses for which the student is registered will become a W (withdraw), other than completed block courses. Students taking a medical leave of absence or withdrawal who are recipients of federal Title IV financial aid should refer to “Refund Procedure” to determine the implications of that medical leave for the financial aid program. Questions about individual cases should be directed to the office of student financial services.

While on medical leave, students will have their College ID card invalidated within seven days of approval of the medical leave of absence. Students are not eligible to participate in student employment and/or assistantships effective the date of approval of the medical leave of absence and for the duration of their medical leave.

A student will not be able to register for classes until the student has been approved to return from a medical leave of absence. If the medical leave is approved after a student has registered for classes for the subsequent semester, those class registrations will also be cancelled.

Students who want to return from a medical leave of absence must contact Hammond Health Center to request an application to return. Before the application can be considered, supporting documentation from a treating medical or mental health professional must be submitted to the Health Center. This documentation must indicate that the medical and/or psychological condition has been addressed, that the student is able to function safely as a member of the College community, and that the student is capable of resuming study at the College.  Furthermore, this documentation should provide the nature and duration of treatment, and any recommendations for ongoing care once the student has returned to campus. Approval to return must be given by the director of health services, who may consult with the director of counseling and psychological services and the chair of the graduate program or dean of the school in which the student is enrolled.

If a student does not return after the medical leave of absence and does not extend it, he or she will be administratively withdrawn from the College and must go through a medical and academic readmission process in order to return. In such instances, there is no guarantee of readmission or reinstated institutional financial aid. All graduate students, including those taking medical leave, must comply with the six-year time limit for completion of their degrees. EMERGENCY LEAVE

Graduate students who must leave the College on urgent personal grounds that necessitate their absence for a semester, such as death or a serious illness in the immediate family, may request an emergency leave of absence. Documentation of the serious nature of the emergency must be provided. Applications for emergency leave of absence are available at the dean’s office. Registration and Course Information Withdrawal from the College

Students deciding to withdraw from graduate study at any time before completion of their degree program should contact the chair of their program to initiate the withdrawal process. This process should include discussion with the graduate program chair and school dean as to the reasons for withdrawal and implications for assistantship support. If, after these discussions, the student wishes to continue the withdrawal process, he or she must complete a "notification of withdrawal from graduate studies" form (available from the graduate program chair or the dean's office) and obtain the signature of the dean. Failure to follow this process may jeopardize the student’s potential for readmission at a future date.

Graduate students who have not registered for academic course work and/or are not making satisfactory progress on a thesis or other research project may, at the discretion of the graduate program chair, be administratively withdrawn. Students will be notified in writing of the administrative withdrawal.

Withdrawals may have financial implications. Students are advised to consult Student Financial Services. If a student withdraws and later is suspended, dismissed, or placed on warning for unsatisfactory academic performance, the academic sanctions stand as a matter of record.

Warning becomes operative in the event that the student is readmitted to the College. Withdrawal from a Course

The last date for withdrawal from a course with a grade of W is determined by a percentage of class days. If fewer than 75 percent of the class days for a course have elapsed, the student may withdraw without an F. Full-Time Study

A full-time student is defined as one who takes 9 credits per regular semester or 6 credits in the summer, with the exception of MBA students who take 15 credits. Full-time students may not take more than 12 credits per semester. Exceptions should be requested in writing and require approval of the dean. Tuition Refund Schedule

Tuition refund is granted when the student drops a course before the add/drop deadline, which is posted on the academic calendar for any term.  No refund is granted if the student withdraws from a course after the deadline. Graduate students who officially withdraw from or are dismissed from all courses during a term at Ithaca College are charged a percentage of total tuition. Refunds are calculated as follows:

1st week: 100% of tuition cost

2nd week: 85% of tuition cost

3rd week: 70% of tuition cost

4th week: 60% of tuition cost

5th week: 50% of tuition cost

6th week: 40% of tuition cost

7th week: 30% of tuition cost

8th week: 15% of tuition cost

9th week: 0% of tuition cost

Weeks are counted from the first day of class in each semester.

No refunds will be granted until the student completes the College's official withdrawal procedure. Course Numbering System

Course numbers consist of a four-character alphabetic department code and a five-digit group. The first digit of the second group is the level of the course.

Level 5 courses are graduate courses in which qualified seniors may enroll under certain circumstances. (See the policy in section of this Policy Manual.)

Level 6 courses are for graduate students only.

Level 7 courses are graduate-level workshops. Course Offerings

Course listings for each semester are published online. The registration schedule is announced by the office of the registrar. Workshops

Graduate workshops (700 level) are offered for graduate credit. With the approval of the adviser, a graduate student may count up to five graduate workshop credits toward a master's degree. Unit of Credit

Credit is earned at Ithaca College in credit hours as measured by the Carnegie unit - defined as one hour of classroom instruction and two hours of assignments outside the classroom for a period of 15 weeks for each credit. Transfer Credit

Courses submitted for transfer credit must be appropriate and applicable to the student's degree or teacher certification program, and a grade of B or better must have been earned. Transferable credits must have been earned not more than four years before matriculation, and no more than six credits may be transferred and applied toward an advanced degree. Grades earned in transferred courses are not applicable to the graduate cumulative GPA. Students who have matriculated and who wish to earn graduate credit elsewhere for transfer to Ithaca College should obtain approval in writing from the major adviser and the dean before registering for a course intended for transfer.

Students must submit a written request for transfer credit to the dean. The request must be supported by an official transcript sent directly to Ithaca College from the institution(s) at which the credit was obtained. Ithaca College-Cornell University Exchange

This reciprocal arrangement between Ithaca College and Cornell University allows graduate students, with prior approval and within the stated stipulations, to cross-register for one course or up to four credits per semester at Cornell. This arrangement is available during the fall and spring semesters only and is contingent on space availability at Cornell.

Policies, costs, registration dates, and academic calendars are available on the IC/CU Exchange website.  Further information and program petition forms are also available on the exchange website and from the Office of Extended Studies. Incomplete Grades

A faculty member may assign a grade of I (incomplete) to a graduate student whose work on a thesis or other individual study course is not complete at the end of a semester or academic session. Otherwise, incompletes are given only when a student is doing satisfactory work but cannot complete the course for a reason not related to academic performance (i.e. medical, family emergency). The incomplete must be requested by the student, before the semester ends, in a timely manner. The student must schedule a meeting with the faculty member issuing the grade, and provide written documentation of legitimate reasons that justify the request.

Terms for completion of the course are to be determined by the faculty member, in consultation with the student. Once the faculty member and student agree upon the specific assignments with criteria for assessment and the due date, the incomplete grade form must be filled out completely and submitted to the Office of the Registrar. This form will serve as a contract between the student and the faculty member and will include a date for course completion.

When the terms of the contract have been met, the instructor of record or appropriate administrator will complete a change of grade form to change the I to the earned grade.

Students who, after consultation with the graduate chair, determine they will not complete the course should request that the instructor complete a grade change form to a PI (permanent incomplete). This form requires the approval of the dean of the school. A PI grade cannot be changed back to a regular grade. Students who receive a PI grade and want credit for that course must register again and complete the requirements. Students may graduate with a PI grade provided all degree requirements have been met. A PI grade is not computed into the GPA. If no complete grade is received by the due date and no PI is approved, a grade of F is recorded on the transcript.

Graduate students cannot receive their degree from Ithaca College with a grade of I recorded on their academic transcript. Pass/Fail or Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory Option

Graduate programs are permitted to use P/F (pass/fail) or S/U (satisfactory/unsatisfactory) grades for graduate-level workshops (700 level) and selected courses only. Policy on Grade Disputes

Grade disputes should be resolved directly between the individual faculty member and the student. If that is not possible, the graduate program chair and/or the dean may intervene for purposes of mediation. Any student disputing a grade must provide written notification of the disputed grade to the faculty member and to the Office of the Registrar, no later than two weeks from the date when classes begin in the succeeding fall or spring semester. Failing resolution of the matter at the school level, the student may petition the provost. (See "Student's Right to Petition," section The final resolution of the dispute will be made by the provost. As a general principle, the authority to change a grade rests with the individual faculty member. Exceptions made by the provost occur only for the most compelling reasons. Audit Policy

An audited graduate course will appear on a student's transcript provided the student

  1. obtains the permission of the instructor;
  2. pays the audit fee, plus any additional courses fees; and
  3. follows the instructor's requirements for auditors, including attendance policy.

The student or faculty member must submit an audit form to the registrar by the add/drop deadline in the fall or spring semester in which the course is to be audited.  Refer to the Office of Extended Studies for policies on auditing summer and winter session courses. A graduate course audited for personal interest or for review of certain segments of the course material (no record on transcript) requires only the instructor's permission to attend the class.

All audits depend on class capacity. No tuition-paying student will be denied a place in a class as a result of a place being provided to an auditor. Audits are not counted as credit toward graduation or calculated in the GPA. Students may change their status from audit to credit only if they do so before the add/drop deadline.

Last Updated: June 24, 2019