The following guidelines represent a summary of requirements for academic eligibility established within the framework of NCAA, Liberty League, and College regulations.
To be eligible for practice, student-athletes must:
- Maintain full-time undergraduate (12 credits) or graduate (9 credits) status.
- Have remaining eligibility.
- Gain clearance from athletic training staff.
- Maintain good standing with the College and the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics.
To be eligible for intercollegiate competition, student-athletes must maintain the following:
- College Good Standing – the student has earned at least 12.0 credits in the semester and has maintained a semester and cumulative GPA of 2.00 or higher.
- College Warning: A student is placed on college warning when her/his semester or cumulative GPA is below a 2.00 or he/she has not completed the 12.0 credits in a semester. Students on college warning are eligible to continue taking courses at Ithaca College and participate fully in College activities unless otherwise stipulated. When students are placed on college warning, they are informed in writing of the reasons for warning, any special warning conditions, and the criteria they must meet to be removed from warning. Warnings are not recorded on the student's official transcript.
- Full-time Enrollment – Student-athletes must be enrolled in a minimum full-time program of studies (undergraduate: 12 credits; graduate: 9 credits).
- Student-athletes in their final semester of enrollment may enroll in less than full-time status if a Final Semester Waiver is granted by the Office of the Registrar and Department of Intercollegiate Athletics. (Contact the Director of Athletics or other appropriate designee.)
- Ten-Semester Rule – A student-athlete shall complete their four (4) seasons of participation during the first 10 semesters in which the student is enrolled in a collegiate institution in at least a minimum full-time program of studies, as determined by the regulations of that institution.
- Clearance from the Athletic Training Staff and complete athletic training forms.
- Complete NCAA and Institutional Forms:
- Consent for Disclosure of Protected Health Information (NCAA)
- Drug Testing Consent (NCAA)
- Student-Athlete Statement (NCAA)
- Student Athlete Code of Conduct (IC)
- Additional procedures related to eligibility can be found in the Ithaca College Student-Athlete Handbook. Inquiries regarding the above academic and eligibility guidelines shall be directed to the Director of Athletics or other appropriate designee.
184.108.40.206 Student-Athlete Academic Integrity Guidelines
All students have a faculty advisor from their school. Advisors will assist students with academic planning and course scheduling, however, student-athletes are strongly encouraged to review course syllabi and communicate with instructors prior to the add/drop deadline to minimize conflict with academic requirements.
Academic tutoring is available to student-athletes in the same manner it is available to the general student body. Please contact Tutoring Services for more information.
Student-athletes are eligible to receive up to 2.0 total credits for participation in intercollegiate athletics. Students may register for intercollegiate participation and will be given a pass/fail grade by the head coach. Each season of participation may earn up to 0.5 credits. Please contact your head coach for additional information.
Missed Class Time
Ithaca College views participation in intercollegiate athletics competition as an officially sanctioned activity of the College and supports student-athletes in representing IC in competition.
A student-athlete shall not miss class for the following:
- Practice activities in any segment; and
- Competition in the nontraditional segment.
Exceptions: A student-athlete may miss class for practice activities in the following circumstances:
- When a team is traveling to an away-from-home contest and the practice in in conjunction with the contest; and
- Student-athletes representing the host institution shall be permitted to miss class time for practice activities scheduled in conjunction with an NCAA championship.
NOTE: Excused absences from class are at the discretion of faculty based on their published syllabi and student-athletes are responsible for knowing the attendance policy for their classes. Please reference the Ithaca College Student-Athlete Handbook or contact the Director of Athletics, or the appropriate designee, for more information.
Student-athletes must adhere to the policies outlined in the Standards of Academic Conduct (Section 7.1.4 of the Ithaca College Policy Manual).
Last Updated: April 22, 2020