Thank you for agreeing to moderate or volunteer for a session of the 2018 Whalen Symposium. Your role is critical to the overall success of the oral presentation sessions and your participation is greatly appreciated.
A staff member assigned to your room will have a folder with abstracts.
Abstracts will be available for review closer to the date of the Symposium.
- Arrive 5-10 minutes before the session starts in order to meet the time keeper and the session presenters.
- Locate the presenters in your session and have them load their presentations on the PC.
- Brief each presenter about the time limit for their talk and the signals the time-keeper will use to alert them.
- The time keeper will time the speaker and hold up timing signs. If the student timer does not show up, then it is up to you to do the timing of the session. Bring a watch. Pay attention to the timer’s signals helping to make sure the speakers end on time; standing up is usually a good way to stop them.
- Just before the start of your session, welcome the attendees and let them know the approximate time for each presentation and that they will be followed by a Q&A period. There will be a few exceptions to the standard time and moderators will be notified accordingly.
- Introduce each speaker, announcing the name(s) and school(s) of the presenter(s) and the title of the presentation. You may want to check pronunciation with the presenters.
- At the end of the session, have the audience thank the speakers and ask for questions. If there are no questions, please ask a question or two to spur on conversation. Sample questions:
- What got you involved in this research?
- How could you see this research continuing?
- Are you going to continue research in this area?
- After questions, thank the speakers and attendees and announce the time until the next session.
- If a presenter fails to show, do not move on to the next speaker.
- At the end of the session, please thank all the speakers and the attendees.
- Arrive 15 minutes before the session starts so you can meet presenters and answer their questions. Introduce yourself to the faculty/staff moderator and familiarize yourself with the speaker list, lights, timer (your cell phone/clock on wall), timing signs, and media equipment in the room. Please choose a seat in the back of the room and be sure to be visible to presenters.
- Load any PowerPoint presentations onto the desktop and check to see that the file opens properly.
- If your faculty moderator fails to show, it’s up to you to introduce the speaker(s), the title of the presentation, and their department.
- Familiarize yourself with the room – where the light switched are, etc. Dim the lights if PowerPoint/media used. Depending on the room, you may be asked to advance the PowerPoint slides for the speaker(s).
- As the talk starts, start the timer.
- Hold up the green “5 minutes left” sign 5 minutes before end of session.
- Hold up the yellow “2 minutes left” sign 2 minutes before end of session.
- Hold up the red “Stop” at end of session.
- Stand up at end to indicate that the time is up.
- If a speaker fails to show, do not move to the next scheduled speaker.
- The faculty moderator will close the session.
- At the end of the session drag the PowerPoint presentations to the Recycle Bin.
- There is only a 15 minute break between sessions. Help us get the room ready for the next session by moving lingering discussions out into the halls.
- Please help by straightening chairs and recycling any hand-outs or papers left in the room.