Ithaca College prepares teachers in the School of Music, the School of Humanities and Sciences, and the School of Health Sciences and Human Performance. All programs lead to students being eligible to apply for New York State Teacher Certification in their content area. Please refer to the questions below for more information on teacher certification.
- Checklist of Requirements for Teacher Certification in New York State
- Applying for Certification in your TEACH Account
- Program Codes
- College Recommendation
- Out of State Certification
- TEACH Account Help
CHECKLIST OF REQUIREMENTS FOR TEACHER CERTIFICATION IN NEW YORK STATE
Initial Certification requirements: (valid for 5 years)
- Create your TEACH account with the NYS Department of Education www.highered.nysed.gov/tcert. Note: If you forget your password or username, DO NOT create a new account, go here www.highered.nysed.gov/tcert/teach/report.html
- Fingerprinting –To schedule an appointment, visit the following NYSED webpage http://www.nysed.gov/educator-integrity/fingerprinting and click the URL next to "Certification".
- Students must pass all NYSED workshops (DASA, Child Abuse Prevention, Drug and Alcohol Abuse Prevention, and School Violence Prevention) for Ithaca College to recommend graduates for NYS Teacher Certification.
- Complete your teacher education Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree program.
- Attain passing scores on the required NYS certification exams for your area. Test preparation guides, registration information, and practice tests can be found at http://www.nystce.nesinc.com. Be sure to check for any Safety Net versions of tests that you might be eligible for.
- Educating All Students
- Content Specialty Test (e.g., Biology, Music, Teachers of Childhood Grades 1-6)
- Note: Speech Language Pathology with Teacher Certification students only need to take the Educating All Students exam for Initial Certification.
- The Institutional Recommendation for Certification will be entered on-line after the Registrar’s Office formally awards your degree which is usually about two weeks after graduation.
- Apply and pay for certification in your TEACH account for your Initial Certificate. Refer to the following website for instructions on applying and a list of Program Codes https://www.ithaca.edu/academics/all-college-teacher-education/teacher-…. Once your application has been submitted, you can check your certification status in to your TEACH account.
Professional Certification requirements: (completed within 5 years of receiving Initial Cert)
- Complete three years of teaching, with the first year mentored.
- Complete a registered Master’s degree program (Refer to NYSED website http://www.highered.nysed.gov/tcert/certificate/relatedmasters.html).
- Apply and pay for certification in your TEACH account for your Professional Certificate.
- Complete annual professional development hours to maintain your Professional Certification.
- For SLP with Teacher Certification only, the Praxis is required for Professional Certification.
Digital Fingerprinting is required for NY State teacher certification. You should have already registered for your TEACH account. Individual appointments for fingerprinting can be made directly with IdentoGO. Please go to the following NYSED webpage http://www.nysed.gov/educator-integrity/fingerprinting and click the URL next to "Certification". You can search for a location by zip code. As of last review the closest sites to Ithaca are in Odessa and Cortland. The fingerprint application fee as of July 1, 2020 is $102.00. Payment must be made by cash or check at the time of your appointment.
The Service Code is: 14ZGQT Fingerprint Reason is: Certification Applicant
TO CONFIRM AND/OR DOCUMENT FINGERPRINTING:
Log into your TEACH account, access Account Information (3rd on list that appears after log in) and click “Fingerprinting.” The statement “Your DCJS and FBI results have been received” (toward the bottom of the screen) indicates complete clearance. If documentation is required for a course or a school placement, you can print/email a screenshot for verification. Make sure when printing or saving the screenshot that it includes your name and details at the top of the page as well.
APPLYING FOR CERTIFICATION IN YOUR TEACH ACCOUNT
Thoroughly read these instructions before beginning the application process to avoid making costly mistakes in the process.
Log in to your TEACH account and click “Apply for Certificate.” Steps in application are as follows:
Step 1. Verify/Update Profile.
This section contains your personal data and contact information. Keep all information current.
The applicant should enter their education in the following format:
Click in the radio button that states “Approved New York State Certification Programs: Select this radio button if you completed an approved program at a New York State institution that leads to a recommended teaching certificate.” Once you click this button, do not click any other options.
- Enter education information - If you are in a graduate program leading to initial certification, enter only the degree program leading to the certificate you are applying for; do not enter your undergraduate, non teaching degree.
- Institution: drop down list of New York State higher education institutions with teacher preparation programs - select Ithaca College from the list.
- Award Title: drop down list of awards associated with the chosen institution; select proper award title.
- Program: drop down list of programs available at the chosen institution and with the chosen award title; select appropriate program.
- Major: this is a generic list of common majors; identify the correct major
- Date Degree Received: enter date of graduation. Be exact here. This date must be accurate.
- Attended From: enter date education began (use 1st day of month you began studies)
- Attended To: enter graduation date
- Number of Credits: A close estimate will be adequate
- The teaching/employment section should only be completed when applying for Professional certification. Applicants should enter only paid teaching experience in schools. Do not enter work associated with courses, paid coaching, or volunteer experiences This category is primarily for those seeking professional certification after having taught successfully.
Step 2 – Select Certificate(s)
This is where you choose your certificate type and title. You will choose from a series of 5 dynamically filtered drop downs to arrive at the appropriate certificate for the program you completed. These drop down menus are exactly the same as in Search Certification Requirements.
- You must select a certificate that is appropriate to the program you indicate in the self-reported education portion of the applicant profile.
- Select the radio button Pathway: Approved Teacher Preparation Program
- If you have completed a dual degree program, you may apply for more than one certificate in the same session
- See Program Code list
Step 3 – Sign Affidavit
Answer the child support and moral character questions here and then sign the affidavit. If you answer “yes” to any of the moral character questions, you must enter an explanation in the text box provided. Sign the affidavit by clicking on the button “Sign Affidavit.”
Step 4 – Confirm and Sign Application
You will sign the application by clicking on the button “Sign Application” attesting that all statements and information provided in the application are true. Please note, up to this point (signing the application), the applicant may back-out of the application process – no certificate or affidavit information will be saved. After the application is signed, the application is saved and submitted.
Step 5 – Make Payment
In order to receive your teaching certificate quickly, it is recommended that a credit card be used for payment. Each certificate costs $50.00. Upon completing the payment process, TEACH will perform an automated evaluation and return a list of unmet requirements. You can print this out and use it to track your completion of unmet requirements.
For an Initial Teaching Certificate:
Bachelor of Arts Degree
Art Education 27889
Biology (7-12) 23322
Chemistry (7-12) 23323
English (7-12) 23325
German (7-12) 23327
Math (7-12) 23329
Physics (7-12) 23331
Social Studies (7-12) 23330
Spanish (7-12) 23328
French (7-12) 23326
Bachelor of Music Degree
Music Education (K-12) 23333
Performance & Music Education 23334
Bachelor of Science Degree
Health Education Teaching 23319
Physical Education Teaching 23320
Master of Art in Teaching Degree - Initial and Professional Certification
Adolescence Education (7-12) 30925
Agricultural Education (K-12) 37534
Master of Music Degree - Professional Certification
Music Education (K-12) 29383
Master of Science Degree
Teaching Students with Speech & Lang. Disabilities or Speech Language Pathology with Teacher Certification 27719 (Initial and Professional Certification)
Childhood Education (1-6) 31463 (Initial and Professional Certification)
Once your degree has been posted by the Office of the Registrar at Ithaca College, we will submit the college recommendation. You can check the status of your application by going to the NYSED website at www.highered.nysed.gov/tcert
If you have job interviews before your certificate arrives, the Teacher Certification Specialist is happy to provide you with an official letter stating that you have applied and been recommended for certification. Contact our Teacher Certification Specialist at email@example.com.
OUT OF STATE CERTIFICATION
All candidates for teaching certification are encouraged to be informed and to educate themselves regarding policies, procedures, and deadlines for certification. Information on certification in other states can be obtained from each state’s Department of Education website.
TEACH ACCOUNT HELP
We hope you find these ‘tips’ helpful and that you use them to assist you as you submit your recommendations. In the event you experience problems or have technical difficulties, TEACH provides technical support via email firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (518) 474-3901 and select option #3.