The Ithaca College School of Music is pleased to announce the 2019 Heckscher Foundation–Ithaca College International Composition Prize. This year the competition will award the best work for saxophone (1 player) solo or with electronics (fixed media only).
Soprano, alto, tenor and baritone saxes (or a combination of these) are possible. Electronics must be fixed media only and the composer will be in charge of operating the electronic part for his/her own laptop computer. Ithaca College will provide stereo diffusion, stage monitors and headphones for click track/metronome if needed.
The work’s duration must be a maximum 20 minutes. Pieces submitted to the competition may have been previously performed, recorded or awarded other prizes.
The composer of the winning work will receive a cash award of $1,750, and a performance by saxophonist and Ithaca College faculty Steven Banks at a concert on April 16, 2020 at Ithaca College. The composer of the winning work is expected to attend the award performance.
The Heckscher Foundation-Ithaca College Composition Prize will not provide travel/accommodation allowance.
Submission deadline is October 31, 2019. The winning work will be announced on the Ithaca College Heckscher Competition website by December 4, 2019. The winner will be contacted via e-mail.
1. Submissions must be anonymous.
2. Only ONE submission per composer will be accepted.
3. Score and recording must show the title of the work only. Should any part of the composer’s name be legible on the score, recording or linked URLs, the entry will be disqualified.
4. For submitting materials electronically, please use the online entry form found on this link:
- Score in PDF format (no other format will be accepted)
- Recording, audio or video (if available). For audio, mp3 is preferred.
- Text or PDF document containing your full name, address, telephone number and e-mail address. This document should be labeled with the title of your piece plus the words “contact info”, example: "Mypiece-contactinfo.pdf"
- PDF, audio, video and text files should be uploaded to platforms such as Dropbox, Megaupload, or any hosting space, making sure that no part of the URL or linked page reveals the identity of the composer. Your materials must be available at the provided URL until at least December 30, 2019.
- Electronic submissions or links sent via e-mail or any other method aside from the specified above will not be accepted.
5. If you are submitting materials in hard copy:
- Bound, anonymous score
- Recording (audio CD only)
- Sealed envelope containing the composer’s name, address, telephone number and e-mail address (Write only the title of the musical work on the envelope.)
- Please send all materials to:
School of Music
Attn: Composition Area/Heckscher Prize
953 Danby Rd
Ithaca, NY 14850
Please note that online submission via the form below or mail-in submissions are the only valid forms of electronic submission. Do NOT send materials or links via e-mail. Electronic submissions are strongly encouraged.
To access the online form, follow this link or copy and paste this URL into your web browser's address bar: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeP8uPegRg2K4oYKVSZFrRL7LcPmg83oBz2VRAIaqGVBu62zQ/viewform?usp=sf_link
Should you have any questions, please send an e-mail to Rebecca Turro at firstname.lastname@example.org.