Guidelines for Nominations - Faculty Excellence Awards
The Center for Faculty Excellence and the Faculty Development Committee seek nominations for Ithaca College’s annual Faculty Excellence Awards. We will offer six, $1,500 awards and welcome ALL faculty nominations. The deadline for allsupporting materials is Monday, February 25th, 2019 via the FEA Submission Site.
To be eligible, a candidate must:
- have completed at least one year of employment at Ithaca College (employment need not be continuous)
- be a faculty member who is full-time, full-time contingent, part-time contingent, or adjunct during the current 2018-19 academic year
- be of any rank (adjunct, lecturer, instructor, assistant, associate, or full professor) and any track (tenure, tenure eligible, NTEN, or contingent)
- Not have received the award within the past 5 years
The foremost criterion for the Excellence Awards is an overall excellence in the responsibilities of a faculty member’s specific appointment including teaching, scholarship, service and/or professional activity.
- Teaching: Teaching excellence remains at the heart of our institution. Excellent teaching is consistent and sustained, although pedagogies vary from discipline to discipline and school to school. Such diverse teaching enriches our campus.
- Scholarship: Ithaca College and the Center for Faculty Excellence recognize many forms of excellence regarding scholarly work. The Boyer Model is one model used to embrace various forms of quality scholarship including but not limited to scholarship of discovery, integration, application, teaching, and artistic endeavor.
- Service: Service is also recognized on many levels including service to the department, school, college, profession and community.
Descriptions of excellence in teaching, scholarship, and service are stated in the Ithaca College Policy Manual, Volume IV: Faculty Handbook section 4.12.7.
Other Areas of Distinction:
Candidates should be able to demonstrate distinction specific to their appointment requirements (or beyond if appropriate) reflecting excellence in those area(s). Areas of distinction could also include, but are not limited to:
- Diversity and inclusion initiatives
- Innovations in teaching
- Experiential learning initiatives
- Sustainability initiatives
- Effectively incorporating scholarship into the classroom
- Bringing national recognition to Ithaca College
- Showcasing aesthetic expression at Ithaca College (through performance, direction, or exhibition)
- Exemplary service to the College, the larger community, and/or the discipline
Faculty Excellence Award Submission Requirements:
It is the responsibility of the nominator (student, faculty, administrator/staff member) to ensure all required documents are submitted on the submission site. A student nominator, however, may request that this responsibility be given to a faculty member or administrator/staff member. Self-nominations are not eligible.
FEA Submission Site: Complete basic information and upload documents. This includes:
- Two Letters of Support (not to exceed 2 pages, 12 pt. font, single spaced; specific examples to highlight nominee’s accomplishments are encouraged). The letters must be from two separate individuals who support the recommendation of the nominee for an excellence award. These can include but are not limited to an IC faculty member, student, administrator, staff member, alumnus/a, or external colleague. *Note, only one letter can come from a student, however multiple students can contribute and sign that letter.
- Department Chair Checklist: (To be completed by the nominee’s chair or in cases where the chair is being nominated, an assistant, associate or full dean from the appropriate school. The Chair/Dean is not permitted to write a supporting letter, however is required to complete this checklist)
- Curriculum Vitae (supplied by the nominee’s department chair)
Previous Nominations: Any former nominators of candidates for an excellence award from previous year could resubmit the application, but should be sure to update materials and follow the guidelines in this document. Award recipients from the past five years are not eligible for a nomination in this cycle.
Reviewers: Nominations will be reviewed by the Faculty Development Committee. Reviewers are ineligible for these awards and may neither nominate nor write in support of a candidate. No more than 2 support letters, and the department chair checklist will be reviewed by Faculty Development Committee. The awardees will be recognized at the annual luncheon for recipients of faculty development awards on Tuesday, May 14th from 12:00-1:30 pm.
Deadline: The nomination form along with supporting materials must be submitted by Monday, February 25th, 2019 to the CFE- Faculty Excellence Awards Submission Site.
Please contact Jill Mayer, Chair Faculty Excellence Awards Subcommittee, with any questions or concerns: firstname.lastname@example.org
See here for all previous Faculty Excellence Awards Recipients.