Ithaca College invites community residents to enroll on an nondegree (extramural) basis in undergraduate and graduate courses. Whatever your circumstances or educational goal, extramural study at Ithaca College can be an important step forward into a new future.

You are a nondegree student if...
you enroll on a course-by-course basis without being admitted (matriculated) into a degree program at Ithaca College.

As an nondegree student you may be...

  • someone who never started college or who wants to return to college
  • an area resident who wants to take a course or two for professional development or personal interest
  • a college graduate who wants to continue his or her education at either the undergraduate or graduate level
  • a student at another college or university who wants to enroll and transfer the credit
  • an international student who wants to study for a semester or two at a U.S. college
  • a qualified high school student who wishes to get a head start in college-level study
  • an Ithaca College employee who enrolls in courses that enhance work performance, promote self-improvement, or provide qualifications for higher job classifications

Courses Available to Nondegree Students
As an nondegree student you may take any of the many courses Ithaca College offers, provided you meet the necessary program and course prerequisites and space is available after Ithaca College degree students have registered. This means that for fall and spring semesters, extramural registration is not processed until the first day of the semester. Some programs have additional restrictions.

  • If you have graduated from high school or hold a GED, you may register for undergraduate courses.
  • If you hold at least a baccalaureate degree, you may register for either undergraduate or graduate courses.
  • Enrollment in graduate courses requires permission from the graduate chair.
  • Nondegree (extramural) students are generally ineligible for enrollment in independent studies and internships.
  • Physical Activity, Leisure & Safety (PALS) courses are not available to extramural students.
  • Graduate courses in physical therapy and occupational therapy are not available to extramural students.
  • Active high school students need to provide a letter from their high school guidance counselor which gives permission for the student to enroll in Ithaca College courses.

Fall, spring, and summer course lists are available in HomerConnect before the semester starts. Classes are held throughout the day, and over 100 courses are offered after 4:00 p.m. With this wide selection you should be able to arrange a schedule to accommodate your needs. In the summer, registration in classroom courses is open to all on a first-come, first -served basis.

International Students
International students are welcome to register for courses at Ithaca College. If your native language is not English, you should take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) and score satisfactorily to demonstrate a command of English. Additional information is available from the Office of International Programs, Job Hall 202, 607-274-3306.

How to Begin - QUICK STEPS

To request to register, complete the online Extramural Request to Register Form. Email approvals from faculty and/or graduate program chairs should be emailed to Please let us know if you have questions about required approvals. See the complete steps for HOW TO REGISTER to insure prompt registration. Payment is due immediately after receipt of registration confirmation.

HomerConnect Access Form

As soon as you are notified by the Office of Extended Studies that your registration has been processed, you should complete the online HomerConnect Access Form. This form authorizes the College to provide you with your user HomerConnect user ID and PIN via e-mail instead of mailing it to your permanent address. It is to your benefit to complete this form as quickly as possible.