In addition to the courses listed in the Undergraduate Catalog, others may be offered on an experimental basis. Details are published in the Undergraduate Course Offerings for the semester they are given. Advance Registration

Enrolled students must register in advance for courses they wish to take the following semester. To be eligible to register in advance for the fall semester, students are required to pay an advance deposit of $400 by March 15. Admission to a course depends on the availability of seats when the student registers; therefore, failure to participate in the advance registration process jeopardizes the student's chance of obtaining desired courses.

Proof of high school graduation or the equivalent is required of all incoming students before online course registration for the students' second semester. A hold that prevents students from registering for their second semester classes will be placed on their records until proof of high school graduation or the equivalent is received by the College (see Section

The College reserves the right to refuse registration or to dismiss after registration any student whose presence would, in the judgment of College officials, be detrimental to the College's interests.

Class schedules at the time of registration are as accurate as possible, but the College reserves the right to cancel courses or alter schedules as needs dictate. It is the student's responsibility to verify the accuracy of his/her course schedule prior to the end of the add/drop period. Permission of Instructor

When "permission of instructor" is listed as a prerequisite in a course description, it indicates that admission to the course is based on an assessment by the instructor of the student's academic preparation for the course. Students must obtain the instructor's permission before registering for the course.

For all other courses, students who believe they have preparation equivalent to the listed prerequisites may seek the instructor's permission to be admitted. This permission should be obtained prior to registering for the course. Health Certification

Prior to the first day of classes, every new student (freshman, transfer, or returning adult) is required to complete and submit to the College health service the health certification form. Students who do not comply with this requirement will not be allowed to remain on campus and their course registrations will be canceled. In the event that a student does not receive a copy of this form in the mail, he or she may obtain one from the College health center or online at Hepatitis-B immunization is recommended and may be required for students in athletic training, occupational therapy, and physical therapy before clinical fieldwork/affiliations. Late Registration

Students have until the end of the add/drop period to pay in full their bill and a $75 late payment fee and to complete their registration for all courses. No student will be allowed to register after the end of the add/drop period. Semester Course Load

Full-time status requires that a student enroll for a minimum of 12 credits in a semester. A student may enroll for as many as 18 credits a semester without being charged extra tuition. To enroll for more than 18 credits, students must have written approval from their dean. Billing for the additional tuition will occur at the end of the add/drop period (see section

Part-time status for degree candidates requires written approval from the student's dean (see "Period for Add/Drop," section, for billing information). Part-time students who are not degree candidates should contact the Office of Extended Studies for registration information. Block Courses

Courses that meet for only half a semester are called block courses. Block I courses meet for the first seven weeks of a semester. Block II courses meet for the final seven weeks of a semester. The add/drop period for a block course extends for only the first week of the block. Final examinations in block courses are normally given during the last class meeting, not during the final examination period for the semester. Placement Tests

All entering students are requested to take a series of tests that are used for placement and guidance purposes. These tests may include a writing sample, a reading comprehension test, or a language placement test. A mathematics placement examination is required of all freshmen and transfer students. All students entering the School of Music also take placement tests in music theory and keyboard musicianship. Course Levels

The letter prefix indicates the department or discipline that offers the course (see list of these prefixes in the Undergraduate Catalog).

The first digit of the five-digit group after the prefix indicates the course level:

  • Level-1 and level-2 courses are generally appropriate for freshmen and sophomores.
  • Level-3 and level-4 courses are generally appropriate for juniors and seniors.

Most courses except those at level-1 have prerequisites.

Level-5 courses are graduate courses. Seniors may be permitted to take a level 5 course if they

  • have successfully completed 90 or more credits in an undergraduate program
  • have a cumulative grade point average of 3.00 or higher
  • have the approval of the course instructor, undergraduate adviser, graduate adviser, graduate chair, and dean of the particular school. The petition form for seniors to take graduate-level courses is available in the Office of the Registrar.

Level 5 courses may be taken for either undergraduate or graduate credit. If taken for undergraduate credit, the courses are not applied to the master's degree. If taken for graduate credit, the courses are not applied to the bachelor's degree. Independent Studies, Internships, and Tutorials

In addition to regular classroom or laboratory instruction, more specialized or individual kinds of study are offered in the form of independent studies, internships, or tutorials. The maximum number of credits earned through internship may not exceed 12 credits, whether attained in a full-semester program or in smaller units during different semesters. Students who wish to enroll for this kind of credit should consult the appropriate school guidelines (available through their dean's office). Also, they should check the academic program information of the school in which the credit would be awarded to see whether there are any specific guidelines mandated by the school. While transfer credit for these experiences is generally not accepted, students may consult with the Dean's Office in their school for additional information. Period for Add/Drop

The add/drop regulations also apply to changing instructors or the number of credits for which a student is enrolled in a variable credit course.

Students may add or drop a semester course within seven (7) calendar days (plus Labor Day) from the start of the semester. No add/drop will be accepted after that date.

At the end of the add/drop period, bills of full-time students who enroll for more than 18 hours will be adjusted for the hours actually enrolled. Although a student may withdraw after this point (a grade of W will show on the transcript), no refund will be given for a reduction in the number of credit hours. If an audit later in the semester indicates that the student's enrollment exceeds the number of credits for which the student has been billed, a supplemental bill will be issued to cover the deficiency.

Students who change from full-time to part-time status must do so by the end of the add/drop period in order to receive a refund. An application form for part-time study is available from the registrar. No refunds are made to part-time students after the end of the add/drop period.

Students who change from full-time to part-time status may forfeit their right to on-campus housing and financial aid.

Although faculty have the option of dropping students from class for nonattendance (see below), it is the student's responsibility to drop a course that he or she does not plan to attend.

When a student withdraws or is withdrawn from a course, a grade of W will show on the student's transcript. Faculty Right to Remove Students from a Course

Students must follow the usual add/drop/withdrawal procedures; however, faculty members have the right to remove a student from a course in accordance with official College policy, as follows:

  1. An instructor can drop any student on his/her roster if s/he does not attend the first class meeting of the semester and fails to notify the instructor in advance that s/he cannot make the class; and/or
  2. For nonattendance after the first full week of classes (or after the first class meeting of a PALS course) if the student has made no contact with the faculty member; and/or
  3. Any time a student violates the written rules for remaining in good standing in the course.

Faculty action to remove a student from a course is not automatic and will be undertaken at the discretion of the faculty member. During the first week of class, students may be removed from the course. In weeks 2-10, a grade of W will be recorded. Students should not rely on faculty members to remove or withdraw them from courses. See Section for information on absences due to religious beliefs. Withdrawal from a Course

Students may withdraw from a course after the add/drop period and before the beginning of the last third of the course. Thus, for a block course, a student may withdraw during weeks 2-5 and for a semester course during weeks 2-10.

When a completed withdrawal form has been submitted to the registrar, a grade of W is entered on the student's transcript. A student must file a fully completed withdrawal form in the Office of the Registrar no later than the last day of the withdrawal period.

The deadline dates for withdrawal are indicated on the academic calendar for each semester. Withdrawal after the deadline date will be recorded as an F on the student's transcript.

Students who cease attending a course without having officially dropped or withdrawn from it are required to pay the course tuition. Withdrawal from a course does not result in a waiver of the tuition due for that course. Audit Policy

There are two ways for Ithaca College degree students to audit courses at Ithaca College:

  1. To audit the course for personal interest or for review of certain segments of the course material (no record on transcript), the student must obtain the instructor's permission to attend the class.
  2. To have the audited course appear on the academic transcript with the notation "AU", the student must

    a. obtain permission from the instructor;

    b. pay tuition at the rate of 10 percent of the current per credit tuition charge (except when tuition is waived because the student is paying full-time tuition) plus any additional fee that may be required;

    c. follow the instructor's requirements for auditors, including rules in regard to attendance.

Students may not change their registration enrollment from audit to a letter grade. All audits are dependent on space availability. No tuition-paying student will be deprived of a place in a course as a result of a place being provided to an auditor.

Audits are not counted as credit toward graduation or calculated in GPA. Auditing is not permitted during summer sessions.

Extramural (nondegree) students may audit courses at Ithaca College. However, to have the audited course listed on the transcript (as "AU"), the extramural student must register through the Division of Graduate and Professional Studies during the first week of classes. The audit fee is 10 percent of the current per credit tuition charge. Attendance Policy

Students at Ithaca College are expected to attend all classes, and they are responsible for work missed during any absence from class. At the beginning of each semester, instructors must provide the students in their courses with written guidelines regarding possible grading penalties for failure to attend class. Students should notify their instructors as soon as possible of any anticipated absences. Written documentation that indicates the reason for being absent may be required. These guidelines may vary from course to course but are subject to the following restrictions:

  1. In accordance with New York State law, students who miss class due to their religious beliefs shall be excused from class or examinations on that day. The faculty member is responsible for providing the student with an equivalent opportunity to make up any examination, study or work requirement which the student may have missed. It is suggested that students notify their course instructors at least one week before any anticipated absence so that proper arrangements may be made to make up any missed work or examination. Any such work is to be completed within a reasonable timeframe, as determined by the faculty member.
  2. Any student who misses class due to a verifiable family or individual health emergency or to a required appearance in a court of law shall be excused. The student or a family member/legal guardian may report the absence to the Office of Student Affairs and Campus Life, which will notify the student's dean's office, as well as residential life if the student lives on campus. The dean's office will disseminate the information to the appropriate faculty. Follow-up by the student with his or her professors is imperative. Students may need to consider a leave of absence, medical leave of absence, selected course withdrawals, etc., if they have missed a significant portion of classwork.

A student may be excused for participation in College-authorized cocurricular and extracurricular activities if, in the instructor's judgment, this does not impair the specific student's or the other students' ability to succeed in the course.

For all absences except those due to religious beliefs, the course instructor has the right to determine if the number of absences has been excessive in view of the nature of the class that was missed and the stated attendance policy. Depending on the individual situation, this can result in the student being removed from or failing the course. Course Examinations Midterm

It is College policy that by the midpoint of each semester all students be evaluated in each course in which they have enrolled. The method of evaluation is to be determined by each faculty member. This assessment is reflected in a midterm grade submitted to the registrar's office in accordance with the schedule published by that office. The only exception to this policy is in those block courses that conclude in one-half semester.

Deans and directors deal with this policy as it relates to the individual faculty and courses within their school. End of Semester

A final examination or its equivalent must be given in each course. All final examinations, whether cumulative or unit, or their equivalent, must be given at the time scheduled by the registrar during final examination week. There are to be no final examinations or their equivalent given during the last week of classes each semester. Any exceptions to this policy must be approved in advance by the dean of the academic unit in which the course is being offered.

Note: Faculty requests for exceptions to this policy must be received by the appropriate dean no later than November 1 and April 1 for the fall and spring semesters, respectively.

Students who find themselves required by the schedule to take three examinations in one day may choose to take the middle examination at another time. Students who wish to do this must inform the appropriate instructor as soon as possible, but no later than the last scheduled class, so that a mutually acceptable alternative time may be arranged. If such an arrangement cannot be worked out, the student should contact the dean's office of the school in which the course is offered.

Student activities are not usually scheduled during final examination dates. Any unusual circumstances of this nature will be dealt with on an individual basis. Proof of High School Graduation

Ithaca College follows the New York State Education Department (NYSED) regulations that guide the admission of all students, including homeschooled students, when reviewing applications for admission. Proof of high school graduation or the equivalent is required of all incoming students before online course registration for the students' second semester. Ithaca College requires only one of the following:

  1. A final, official transcript from a regionally accredited high school* indicating the date on which the student was awarded a diploma; or
  2. Proof of having taken and successfully passed the examination for the high school equivalency diploma in the form of the examination transcript showing the actual test results; or
  3. A letter of substantial equivalency from the Superintendent of Schools or comparable chief school administrator certifying that the student is completing a home instruction program that is substantially equivalent to a four-year high school program and submission of a valid and in effect individualized home instruction plan (IHIP) that authorizes full-time study; or
  4. Proof that the student has completed and passed all requirements for the following five New York State Regents examinations: the Regents Comprehensive Examination in English, the Regents examination in mathematics, the Regents examination in United States history and government, a Regents examination in science, and the Regents examination in global history and geography; a passing score of 65 or, where applicable, a score of 55-64 as determined by the school district of residence (this option available only to students who are residents of New York State); or
  5. Completion of 24.0 semester hours as a recognized candidate for a college-level degree or certificate distributed as follows: 6.0 semester hours in English language arts, including writing, speaking, and reading (literature); 3.0 semester hours in mathematics; 3.0 semester hours in natural sciences; 3.0 semester hours in social sciences; 3.0 semester hours in humanities; and 6.0 semester hours in any other courses that are part of a registered degree or certificate program at a regionally accredited institution of higher education*; or
  6. Possession of a previous college degree from a regionally accredited college or university* in the form of an official transcript that shows the degree and date on which it was granted; for a student who completed a degree in another country, the College will confirm that the study was at the postsecondary level and that the institution is recognized by the country's Ministry of Education or equivalent.

* The six regional accreditation agencies are: the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools; the New England Association of Colleges and Schools; the North Central Association of Schools and Colleges; the Northwest Association of Schools, Colleges and Universities; the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools; and the Western Association of Schools and Colleges.

Last Updated: March 27, 2019