- Passionate about the issues, practices, and projects of sustainability domestically and globally?
- Interested in creating sustainable approaches to tourism and travel?
- Looking for opportunities to develop expertise in communicating about sustainability?
Students developing plans incorporating this platform will
- Learn the principles of sustainable development;
- Gain the analytical skills needed to understand and address sustainability in global and domestic contexts of inequality;
- Develop expertise in areas of their choosing, including ecotourism, sustainable development, and environmental communication.
Options for plans based on this platform include exploring:
- Ecotourism through courses in anthropology, recreation and leisure studies, and business; OR
- Environmental communication through courses in strategic communication, law and public policy, essay and science writing, and media and literary representations of the environment; OR
- Sustainable development as a set of practices connected to global issues of culture, race, and ethnicity, including human rights, inequality, and environmental policy.
Senior projects might include
- An internship at a sustainability-focused organization; OR
- Researching and developing a case study of a sustainability issue for presentation; OR
- Designing and implementing a campaign that supports a sustainability project or policy.
Students can use plans in this area to prepare for sustainability-related careers in education, research, business, government, nongovernmental organizations (NGOs), communications, or international organizations.