FLEFF FAST FACTS
Finger Lakes Environmental Film Festival Fast Facts
- 2016 is the 19th Edition of FLEFF.
- FLEFF is programmed around an annual theme. This year, our theme is LANDSCAPES.
- FLEFF is housed in the Office of the Provost at Ithaca College. We collaborate with faculty, students, and programs across all the schools. We also collaborate with organizations around the country and around the world to bring the most thought-provoking programming to Ithaca.
- Launched in 1997, Ithaca College became major sponsor in 2004.
- FLEFF spans one week, both on campus and downtown at Cinemapolis
- Embraces and interrogates sustainability across all of its forms: economic, social, ecological, political, cultural, technological, aesthetic
- Following the UNESCO definition of sustainability, FLEFF explores international interconnections between war, disease, health, genocide, the land, water, air, food, educations, technologies, cultural heritage, diversity.
- Focus on interdisciplinary dialogues and vigorous debates with audiences
- International focus
- Showcases Ithaca College as a regional, national, international center for thinking differently about the environment and sustainability
- More than a film festival, programming spans a range of arts and intellectual engagements: films, concerts, silent film/live music, new media, installation, fine arts, performance, journalism, activism, researchers,
- Festival features a diverse range of activities both large and small: film screenings, concerts, lectures, online exhibitions, workshops, Q and A s with guests, moderated discussions, master classes, meet ups, working labs, parties, industry talks.
- Festival is heterogeneous on every level, from topics explored to sizes of our audiences to the range of formats to the kinds of discussions we mount.
- FLEFF programs more than environmental documentaries. We program narrative features, documentaries, experimental works, hybrid works, music, new media, silent film/live music, and face to face discussion
- FLEFF features guests from all over the US and all over the world who not only innovators and pathbreakers, but are accessible, and eager to engage students, faculty, the community, and festival-goers. Join us to meet film directors, film producers, film distributors, new media artists, activists, intellectuals, musicians, artists, and other visionaries pushing the edges of independent media and arts.
- FLEFF collaborative partners include Cinemapolis (Ithaca ), Outcast Films, dGenerate Films, Kino Lorber International, Cinema Tropical, EngageMedia (Indonesia), Derive (South Africa), Voices from the Waters (India), Chiapas Media Project (Mexico).
FLEFF: A DIFFERENT ENVIRONMENT