Auditions - Fall 2015
REGISTRATION - Please do not register for Vocal Jazz Ensemble until auditions have been completed and membership determined.
The Ithaca College Vocal Jazz Ensemble is looking for singers!
The Ithaca College Vocal Jazz Ensemble (ICVJE), led by Doug Avery, features jazz for 16 voices, both a cappella and accompanied by a rhythm section. Currently, four performances are scheduled for the 2015-16 school year. More may be added if the opportunity arises.
All Ithaca College students regardless of major are eligible to audition for placement into the Vocal Jazz Ensemble. Please note that everyone who is interested (even those who have previously been in the group) must audition each year.
Auditions for the ensemble will be held on Thursday, August 27th in Whalen 2313.
10-minute audition slots begin at 6:00 PM. Any students wishing to audition should sign up for a time slot on the sheet posted in the music building (Whalen) by the 2nd floor room #2313 (Prof. Avery's office).
The audition will last roughly 8 minutes. please be warmed up & ready 10 minutes before your audition time. There will be an "audition interview" sheet for you to fill out BEFORE your audition time. You should be prepared to:
1) Sing a song of your choosing that you know well (jazz standard preferred). PLEASE bring music for your song! I will accompany you on the piano, or you may accompany yourself, or bring an accompanist. If you have nothing to sing, be prepared to sing "America, the Beautiful" and experiment in different styles. I will have several of the more singer-friendly volumes of the Jamey Aebersold jazz books and accompaniments, as well as the Hal Leonard Jazz Tracks (Men's and Women's volumes). Please arrive extra early if you need time to look for a song. If you know the song you would like to sing, contact me (email@example.com), and I will send you the lead sheet and the accompaniment track that I have.
2) Sing a one octave chromatic scale up & down- Starting note of you choice.
3) Sight-sing a short excerpt.
4) Improvise (scat-sing or make up a melody with words) over a 12-Bar Blues chord progression. If you have never improvised vocally, be prepared to demonstrate your willingness to try.
If you have trouble choosing a song, you may choose one from these PDF's.
"Blue Skies" by Irving Berlin:
"Time After Time" by Sammy Kahn and Jule Styne;
Membership will be posted on Friday evening, August 28th, along with other choral ensembles. A list will be posted outside Prof. Avery's office and outside Dr. Janet Galvan's studio.
The Vocal Jazz Ensemble meets Tuesday & Thursday evenings 6:05-7:55 PM. Scheduled concert dates for 2015-16 are November 6 (Family Week-End), December 10 (1st semester concert), and April 26 (2nd semester concert). A fourth date in February is currently under consideration for a special event)
A music major, if Vocal Jazz is not their not their major ensemble, may register for 0.0, 0.5 or 1.0 credit, and it would count toward their music electives. Non-Music majors may take for the same and it would count as liberal arts credit. Jazz studies and vocal majors may use Vocal Jazz as their major ensemble. In this case they would register for 1.0 credit.
Rhythm section players interested in playing in the group should discuss their interest with Jazz Studies Director Michael Titlebaum (firstname.lastname@example.org) and contact the director Doug Avery at email@example.com.
I look forward to hearing you!
- Prof. Avery, Director ICVJE