Frequently Asked Questions

What is the speed limit on campus?

The speed limit on campus roads is 25 mph. The speed limit in parking lots is 10 mph.

What will I need to get a parking permit?

If you are an Ithaca College student, faculty, or staff member and you are ordering your permit online, all that you will need is your NetPass username and password. If you are visiting our office to order a parking permit, we will need to see your Ithaca ID. Please click one of the following links to learn more about your respective permit:

Do I need a permit if I have a vehicle for only a day or two?

Yes. Temporary permits are available at Parking Services. Please click here to learn more about Temporary Permits.

Do I need a permit to park on campus nights and weekends?

No. Guests should register as a Overnight and Weekend Visitor. Parking permits are required to park on campus Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM. You can obtain a visitor permit at the Parking Services office on Farm Pond Road during business hours, Monday-Friday, 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM.

Where can I park my motorcycle?

Motorcycles can park in designated motorcycle reserved spaces and in regular parking spaces in the parking lot for which a permit is valid. Motorcycles like any vehicle must be registered and display a parking permit.

My vehicle is being repaired and I have to bring another vehicle to campus. What do I do?

You can get a temporary permit at the Parking Services office.

If I bring a new vehicle to campus, can I transfer my student permit to the new vehicle?

No, student permits are not transferable. Bring your permit to the Parking Services office to exchange it at no cost for a permit for your new vehicle.

I forgot my hangtag permit, or I forgot to hang it on my mirror. What do I do?

You can obtain a temporary parking permit at no charge for the day from the Parking Services office. Call the Parking Services office (607-274-3756) to be put on the permission list for that day.

My permit was lost or stolen. How do I get a replacement permit?
Go to the Parking Services office and fill out a lost or stolen report. There is a $10.00 replacement fee.

Can I get a permit refund if I need to turn in my permit before the end of the academic year?
Refunds are available on full year permits for students who choose not to bring their vehicle to campus for the spring semester. A refund of 50% of the purchase price is will be processed if you return your permit to Parking Services no later than the Friday of the first full week of the spring semester.

Are parking regulations in effect during breaks and holidays?

What should I do if I need to load or unload items near a building?
Call Parking Service Monday through Friday 8:30AM - 4:30PM (607-274-3756). At all other times contact the Office of Public Safety and Emergency Management dispatcher (607-274-3333). Tell them where you need to load or unload and give them your vehicle's license plate number. Be aware that loading time is limited to 15 minutes.

If my vehicle is parked far away from my residence hall at night, are there personal safety measures I can use?
Our parking lots are well lit and patrolled frequently. Emergency phones located around campus are marked by a blue light. When you press the button, it connects directly to the Office of Public Safety and Emergency Management. Security officers, and patrol officers are available to accompany any member of the campus community to and from any campus location. You can also call 607-274-3333 from any regular campus telephone or cell phone.

How do I pay a ticket?
You can pay your ticket online.

How do I appeal a ticket?
You can file an appeal online.

What do I do if my vehicle won't start?
Call the Office of Public Safety and Emergency Management (4-3333 or 607-274-3333) and an officer will be sent to jump-start your vehicle.

What is the snow removal policy?
When necessary, snow will be removed from parking lots on campus. In order to facilitate plowing, vehicles will need to be moved to another parking lot. The campus community will be notified when it is necessary to make special snow removal parking arrangements. Notification may include communication through residence hall staff, flyers on vehicles, emails and Intercom notification.