Cultural diversity and a global perspective are important values at Ithaca College and we greatly appreciate the contributions international students make to the campus community. Currently there are about 200 students from 55 countries studying with us. In an effort to provide a positive experience for all of our International Students we want to make sure you have information related to owning and operating a vehicle in New York State.
There are two main motor vehicle challenges that International Students sometimes face that we want you to be aware of:
- Understanding how to legally buy and sell a vehicle
- Knowing that New York State requires a vehicle to be insured at all times.
Below are frequently asked questions (FAQs) by International Students that will link you directly to the appropriate locations on the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) website.
Frequently Asked Questions for International Students
- Can I drive In New York State with a valid out-of-state or foreign driver license?
- How Do I Buy or Sell a Vehicle?
- What are vehicle inspection requirements?
- Do I need insurance on my vehicle?
- Do I need to surrender my plates to the DMV if I cancel my auto insurance?
- Do I need insurance on my vehicle when I am out of the country?
- What do I do if I receive a lapsed insurance notification from the DMV?
- Do I need to notify the DMV if I move?