The Graduate Professional Excellence Award is given to graduate students whose work and leadership during their academic coursework points to a promising career in the field of physical therapy.
Zachary M. Thomas
Graduate Professional Excellence Award
My desire to help individuals return to their prior level of function following a setback in their lives has guided me towards physical therapy. My involvement in sports and weightlifting, combined with the experiences I gained during my clinicals thus far, have only solidified my career choice. The process of rehabilitation, whether it is to return to a sport or just to a prior level of function, is very intriguing to me. Being from the small town of Apalachin, NY, only about an hour south of Ithaca, resulted in Ithaca College being on my radar from the beginning and I could not be happier with the decision I made.
Looking back at my time at Ithaca College, the relationships I made with both my classmates and my professors is something that I will never forget. They are relationships that are just beginning and will continue to grow over a lifetime, creating a network of individuals that live and breathe success. Following my time at Ithaca College, I am going to continue to expand on my knowledge and expertise in the field of physical therapy by continuing onto an orthopedic residency program, with the hope of attaining Sacred Heart University.
Academic Achievements and Personal Highlights
- Magna Cum Laude
- Alpha Eta and Phi Kappa Phi Honor Societies
- Teaching Assistant: Mobility Training, Soft Tissue Mobilization, Human Anatomy, and Neuroscience
- Research Assistant, "Lumbar Bracing and the Effects on Lumbar Motion During a Golf Swing"
- James J. Whalen Academic Symposium, presentation and poster (2020)
- Invited Guest Speaker, Cancer Resource Center and OFA anatomy class
- Certified in Hawkgrips Level I: IASTM Fundamentals
- Completed McKenzie Method of MDT – Part A: The Lumber Spine course
- Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (CSCS)
- Guiding Eyes for the Blind, Puppy-Raiser (2-time)