A maximum of one pet, either a dog or a cat will be permitted in professional live-in staff members’ apartments, pending an interview with the Assistant Director for Operations. The staff members must also show sufficient responsibility and willingness to follow the following guidelines:
- The animal must have proof of being licensed.
- The animal must have all required vaccinations up to date.
- The animal must be maintained under a standard measure of restraint when outside the apartment (leash or carrier).
- The animal’s feces must be disposed of properly and immediately.
- Any and all damages caused by the animal will be the responsibility of the owner. There will be a damage deposit in the amount of $200.00. This deposit is refundable in full or part depending upon the cost of damages caused by or cleaning required because of the pet. If the cost of repair, replacement, or cleaning exceeds $200.00, the staff member is responsible for the full amount.
- The owner must produce evidence that they have a renter’s insurance policy. All liability is the responsibility of the owner.
- All pets will be spayed or neutered at the appropriate age.
- A cat must either be de-clawed when its veterinarian declares it is safe to do so or regularly clipped and provided an appropriate scratching alternative.
- Pets which constitute a nuisance to the other residents will be removed within seven (7) days of notification by the Assistant Director.
- Residents must be notified of the pet’s presence in the residence hall, either through first floor meetings, letters, or emails.
- Pet owners must use a flea/tick control system.
- Live-in staff members with a dog or cat must be sure that their animal does not interfere with the normal activities of the residence hall or cause difficulties for students who reside there.
- Pets should remain in staff apartments while owners are working. Pets are not allowed in offices for any reason.
- Pets should not accompany owners to required staff events.
- The pet owner will be responsible for extra cleaning before vacating their apartment.
*The following dog breads are not allowed in the residence halls: German Shepherd, Doberman Pinscher, Rottweiler, Pit Bull, Great Dane, Mastiff, St. Bernard, and Wolfhounds, due to their size and/or nature. Dogs above 85 lbs are not allowed.