The Goldwater Scholarship is one of the most prestigious national scholarships in the natural sciences, engineering, and mathematics. It seeks to identify and support college sophomores and juniors who demonstrate exceptional promise in their respective research fields. Our very own Dallas Fonseca ’18 (Mathematics, Biochemistry) was named a 2017 Barry Goldwater Scholar.
According to the Goldwater website, they are seeking individuals with characteristics including:
- Strong commitment to a research career in the natural sciences, mathematics, and engineering
- Effective display of intellectual intensity in the sciences, mathematics and engineering
- Potential for a significant future contribution to research in their chosen field
To be eligible, a student must:
- Be a full-time matriculated sophomore or junior
- Intend to pursue a research career
- Have at least a 3.0 GPA
- Be a US Citizen or a permanent resident
Scholarship Amount: Scholarships of up to $7500 a year are provided to help cover cost associated with tuition, mandatory fees, books, room and board.
If interested, please contact Te-Wen Lo, our Goldwater Campus Representative.