First-year composition is required of all students as part of the Integrative Core Curriculum (ICC). Students may satisfy this requirement in one of the following ways::
- Take WRTG 10600 Academic Writing at IC (preferably during the first or second semester).
- Complete a specialized Ithaca Seminar in Writing (ICSM 10800), which counts as both ICSM and WRTG 10600.
- Earn a 4 or 5 on either the AP English Language & Composition or the AP English Language & Literature exam.
- Earn a 4, 5, 6, or 7 on the IB English A (HL) exam.
- Transfer equivalent course credit from another college.
To be counted as Academic Writing, courses from other institutions must meet our learning objectives and course requirements.
Please note that writing courses that are NOT equivalent to WRTG 10600 at IC include:
- courses that prioritize reading and writing about literature
- courses that only require relatively short writing assignments (WRTG 10600 requires a total of16-25 pages--or 4000 words or more--of revised prose)
- courses that are shorter than five weeks,
(a course with any one of these characteristics will NOT count as WRTG 10600)
To have a transferred course evaluated, please complete the ICC Study Away/Transfer Credit Evaluation form available on IC Workflow. The request will be evaluated by the Director of First-year Composition and/or the Director of the ICC.