Spending a semester abroad will undoubtedly offer students many benefits that are not easily obtainable in a homogeneous environment. Though the benefits are plentiful, it is very important for all individuals who are interested in pursuing an overseas experience to take time out to consider their personal identities and the possible challenges they might encounter given the cultural context of their destination(s). Researching the destination(s), understanding the cultural expectations and norms, and being aware of the laws of the selected country and locale is of utmost importance. The time and attention spent on research, planning, and preparation, will help ensure a rewarding experience abroad. The resources listed below will help students' become more familiar with the information they should be looking for.
"...in diversity there is beauty and there is strength."Maya Angelou
Personal Identity and Cultural Context
Diversity Abroad has many excellent resources to support students of diverse identities during their international experiences. Their Culture and Diversity Destination Guides are organized by country, and designed to give students an overview about what to expect in a given country.
Their Diversity and Inclusion Abroad Guides will help you learn more about how your identity may be impacted during your experience abroad generally speaking, and are not focused on specific countries.
- Women Abroad
- Students On a Budget Abroad
- First Generation Students Traveling Abroad
- LGBTQ+ Students Abroad
- Student with Disabilities Abroad
- Students of Color Abroad
- Heritage Seekers Traveling Abroad
- Religious & Spiritual Students Abroad
- Meaningful Travel Tips and Tales: LGBTQ Traveler’s Perspectives (GoAbroad.com, 2017)
- Meaningful Travel Tips and Tales: African American Perspectives (GoAbroad.com, 2016)
- Meaningful Travel Tips and Tales: Woman Perspectives (GoAbroad.com, 2018)
- Meaningful Travel Tips and Tales: First Gen. Students Abroad (GoAbroad.com, 2018)
- Meaningful Travel Tips and Tales: Traveling with a Disability (GoAbroad.com, 2017)
- Meaningful Travel Tips and Tales: Asian Traveler's Perspectives (GoAbroad.com, 2017)
- Meaningful Travel Tips and Tales: LatinX Traveler's Perspectives (GoAbroad.com, 2017)
- Find more Ebooks and Articles on GoAbroad.com
- Take a look at Nicole Phillip's essay "My Very Personal Taste of Racism Abroad" (NYTimes.com, 2018).
- Learn about how one student managed a physical disability abroad in "First Abroad Stories: Shalom Hernandez and Managing a Physical Disability Abroad" (DiversityAbroad.com, 2018).
- Read about the challenges Ashley Butterfield faces as a black female international tourist (BBC.com).
- LGBT Students and Study Abroad (Ithaca College, 2019)