M. Nicole Horsley
Assistant Professor and Coordinator
The African Diaspora Studies Minor examines the experiences of people of the African Diaspora: sub-Saharan Africa; Latin America; the Caribbean; the United States; Canada; and Europe. The African Diaspora is based upon a globalized notion of blackness—a collective notion of community and identity. It describes the dispersal, movement, migration, and removal/exile of people from Africa. From an African American and African Diaspora Studies perspective, the minor examines the movement and migration of blackness through geography (Africa, the U.S., the Caribbean, and other locales); culture (art, music, film & media, beauty); and identity (race, gender, sexuality, class) to understand the afterlife of slavery through mass incarceration, anti-blackness, and other disparaging systems created to maintain white domination.
Student Learning Outcomes:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the major historical and sociopolitical developments in the experiences of people of the African diaspora.
- Critically analyze information using theories, methods, and concepts from African Diaspora and African American Studies to bridge community action and scholarly inquiry.
- Interpret the relationships among race, power, and resistance.
- Examine how blackness and ethnicity intersect with other factors such as gender, class, sexuality, religion, and nationhood.
- Illustrate a deep understanding for the development of the African Diaspora and the quest for liberation and social justice.
Spring 2023 Minor List
Minor in African Diaspora Studies Spring 2023
ADS Minor SP2023 Courses
Culture & History
CSCR 25000 Hip Hop Cultures (Winter Session)
CSCR 26100 Watching Race in US Media
ENGL 37100 African American Literature
CSCR 32600 Black Queer Studies
RLST 21700 Blackness in/and the Bible
Power & Liberation
CSCR 27100 Race, City, Environment
HLTH 21300 Wellness: Multicultural Perspectives on Health
CSCR 32500 Black Horror
HLTH 31200 Inequalities in Health
Comparative & International
CSCR 23400 Black Cinema